changing line lengths

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
derick
changing line lengths

Post by derick » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:43 pm

does anyone change line lengths instead of changing kites? Longer lines when underpowered and vice versa?

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:01 pm

if you have no other option, then yea it can hella kill power, but its definitely not as fun, and it throws timing off on all tricks, even wakestyle.

i'm totally over a short lineset when it comes to wakestyle, it really sucks cuz it never seems to give the real grunt.

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:18 am

I see three variables for adjusting power for kitesurfing: kite, board, lines.
I prefer putting only one kite up and grabbing a different board if the wind goes up or down.
My buddy is in to changing lines, much cheaper than buying a another kite. He has one high wind kite (13M) and when he gets overpowered, he comes in and switches lines. It makes it so he feels like he is on an 11M. It just makes it confusing for us, when he is out on his 13M (Is he on long or short lines?). Cuz I can ride my 15M when he is on his 13M on long lines, but when he is on his 13M with short lines, I am way overpowered.
My smallest kite is a 9M, I'm currently setting up a bar with short lines for when I get overpowered on that kite.
-bric

working man

line length

Post by working man » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 am

I do.

I have a 27m set up and 22m set up. When you take out about 5m of kite line, you go down in kite size. Other things change as well:
1. Kite turning speed - increases
2. Ability to depower - increases
3. Power stroke - decreases
4. Jumping/freestyle - changes

It's a fun new thing to try if you have not done so. I love short lines in the waves and for certain types of freestyle. The feedback is really fast and instant.

Good winds + waves, Zeev.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:03 am

I have 3 25m linesets, and 1 20m lineset... The 20m lineset requires much more working of the kite to get up to speed.. but once up to speed and the kite is parked, there is really no power difference... Yank tricks like kiteloops are less powerful and often look better with shorter lines... Jump height seems to be compromised though... I have seen someone in alameda with what looked like 40-50m lines on a fuel (with extensions... looked like 2 linesets) ... I am not sure if they had more power....

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:46 am

I heard a conversation once that if you put long enough lines on, you could kite when there's no wind at all on the ground, cuz there's always wind at a certain altitude. Purely theoretical, of course.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:37 pm

Does the kite actually turn faster or is it just an optical illusion because the kite is closer to you and the window is smaller?

I have a Maniac 5 that I fly on 18M and 28M lines. In 28 it can stay in the air when you barely feel the breeze, but when it picks up it gets little scary. Much more friendly in high wind with 18M. I think the high wind small kites that are fast forward and turn fast can benefit from a smaller window in crazy wind.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:15 am

I heard a conversation once that if you put long enough lines on, you could kite when there's no wind at all on the ground, cuz there's always wind at a certain altitude. Purely theoretical, of course.
Paul how would you get your kite up to the wind with no wind on the ground?? I don't think the kite would fly high enough in very light wind. Maybe we should try it at alameda some day. Hook up 3 27m linesets together and launch with a really long bar.

Wait.... Maybe Alameda won't be the right place. OB on a light wind day would be better. We could near the cliffs where the hang gliders fly and catch a updraft.

I'll bring the landboard!! =D>

Dewey
Dewey

short lines rock

Less poweful???

Post by short lines rock » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:45 pm

Yank tricks like kiteloops are less powerful and often look better with shorter lines
I'm not sure I agree here....have done a few kiteloops w/both types of lines, and short lines are a lot more violent when done right, as the kite can't rotate up high in the windwo....

if they are really less powerful, please expain this....... pictures...This looks like power to me

Ollie, I have two files I want to attach, how do I do it? They are jpeg files.....

Zeev

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:36 am

Zeev, you can use the Image after the path.

Or after clicking "New Post" or "Post Reply" you can click on "Add Attachment" down below.