changing line lengths

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Blackbird
Regular
Regular
line lengths

Post by Blackbird » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:51 pm

To Andy, that 40-50 meter line set belonged to me at Alameda, and a couple times at Chrissy. The sizes I've used and their affect:

25m lines: These are great for most conditions and don't confuse the general onlooker. Turns well, decent sized wind window, and oh, I guess that's why standard lines are 25-27 meters. Doh.

15m lines: Yes, shorter lines take power away from the kite. I can ride my 9m fuel while others are out on 7m with my 15m lines. I love these for waves such as Waddell. However, the first time out it felt like riding a bronco. The kite reacts extremely fast. This is great for kite placement in wave riding, but needs more more control and attention. Once mastered, the lines are fantastic in waves. True, jumps are reduced, but that's not their strong point.

40m lines: I put my 15m lines on the ends of my 25m lines for flying my jet plane. With my 15m kite I can kite when everyone in the bay area is dumbfounded by lack of wind. Used this first in San Diego when people were out on 20m kites and not staying up wind. It's fun, but the kite goes from having normal power at the edge of the wind window to huge power through the transition from one side to the other. I'm basically increasing my wind window and allowing the kite to move greater distances, thus giving more power. As long as I keep the kite moving I get more power than the normal 15m kite would. Supposedly this could be great for huge air, but I have not tried that as the conditions I've flown this setup in were underpowered to start, so getting air was not an option.

If you haven't tried changing up your line lengths yet, try it. A role of Q Power line will go a long way...

In the end, I think it will just make you a better kiter if you know the affects of different line lengths and not just the theory you've been told. Mix it up!

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:37 am

I use 20m lines in really gusty conditions and in the waves. When the wind picks up and I'm on my 9m it can feel like you're flying a giant wasp on crack but you get used to it. Your power stroke for water starting has to be real aggressive but it's nice because you can get yourself up real quick to avoid the breakers and move the kite across the window quickly to avoid being munched. You'll become a kite sining master. =D>