Gorge Tested Cabrinha Crossbow

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:27 am

It's got the foil tendency to just sit parked overhead. I found that it retains that same stability when riding at the edge of the window. My 12M should come in this week so I'll post a review when I get time in both low winds and high. K

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:23 am

After looking at the crossbow yesterday, I can understand why it has such a wide wind range.
A 12M crossbow can cover the range of a 14M, 12M, and 10M U-shaped lei. The 12M xbow has the same projected area as a 14M U-shaped lei.
The range comes from how this kite can change it's angle of attack like elli mentioned.
The true range of this kite comes from the bar, it uses a true 2:1 pulley system, first one I've seen that is 2:1. That is, when you push away an inch on the bar, it is the same as pushing away 2" on another bar. It works by integrating the rear lines with the sheeting system. When you push away on the bar (to lengthen the rear lines), at the same time the front lines get pulled in (to shorten the front lines). The opposite is true when you pull in on the bar.
I don't know how long the chicken loop was, say 16". This is equivalent to 32" of sheeting on another bar. That gives a huge range in the variation in the angle of attack.
A lot of thought went into the bridle for this kite. There is a pulley on the bridle to transfer the load to the leading edge when the rear lines go slack. The concept looks very similar to the ww S.A.F.E. system. But because the tow points are on the actual leading edge (through the bridle), this system looks more efficient.
I've heard that these kites don't hindenburg, which is a major breakthrough for lei kites.
Very neat design,
-bric

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:52 pm

Yep, it looks like this kite has the shape advantage of foils (efficiency, huge depower, don't Hindenburg, easy relaunch) with the advantages of solid leading edge and smooth surface skin of LEIs. Looks like the best of both worlds. I will not try one until I have enough cash, because I know what the next thing that will happen (me have less cash :) ).

The good news is that most other manufacturers are working on something like that, these are at least the rumors.

Best for example, is working on something like this forever and only now they can do it with the Cuben Fiber! I am just joking, but they actually said that (and they were not joking). :)

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:46 am

elli wrote:Yep, it looks like this kite has the shape advantage of foils (efficiency, huge depower, don't Hindenburg, easy relaunch) with the advantages of solid leading edge and smooth surface skin of LEIs. Looks like the best of both worlds. I will not try one until I have enough cash, because I know what the next thing that will happen (me have less cash :) ).

The good news is that most other manufacturers are working on something like that, these are at least the rumors.

Best for example, is working on something like this forever and only now they can do it with the Cuben Fiber! I am just joking, but they actually said that (and they were not joking). :)
They could name it the crashbow.