New Policy/Alameda

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
New Policy/Alameda

Post by OliverG » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:27 pm

LMG's post from iKite about one outcome of the meeting on Sun 7/10
[hr]
A meeting was held today at Crown Beach to address a growing problem. THe main complaint coming into the parks dept is kites being flown over beach goers.
We agreed that a new policy had to be implimented reguarding down wind kiters.

"ABSOLUTLY NO KITERS ARE TO COME ASHORE SOUTH OF THE CONTROLL ANTENNA WITH THERE KITE IN THE AIR"

This applys to all kiters and will from now on be strongly encouraged among our kiter population. We deemed this as the most tangable solution to curb the publics complaints.
Charlie Remail came up with a cool little slogan that I hope we'll all embrace "When your feet hit the sand, your kite must be in hand". I sincerly hope all kiters will assist us in keeping this site open to kiting and maybe avoid any police (gov) action in the future.
We believe that kiters comming to Alameda to learn will also benefit from this policy due to the requirement of self landing. This should help prepare them better for the time they move on to the rocky shoreline of other Bay Area sites.

Thanks to all the kiters that took the time to help us come up with this resolution!
Please ask for more clairifacation from someone at the beach if you are unsure of ANYTHING like guideline's, policy or landmark's etc.
L.M.G.

rymonroe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rymonroe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:45 pm

I hope everyone is prepared for alot of people body dragging up wind. Thats what all the new guys (like myself) are going to do since this new rule, until we can figure out how to stay upwind.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:40 pm

But look at the bright side: If we can keep the Parks Dept. and the public happy, at least you'll have a place to do it at. And think of how good you'll be at body dragging upwind. You can ditch that board leash and never lose a board! :)

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:13 pm

I think this is going to up the quality of all Alameda kiters! NOT that we need to improve, WE HAVE THE BEST KITERS IN THE BAY!!!
Seriously, I think down wind kiters could come within easy range of the beach, fly the kite out over the water and throw the bar depowering the kite on the water. Roll up the lines or just retreve the kite and come ashore.
This really should be no big deal!!! (I hope),
BTW: I'm not willing to body drag out 200 feet from shore (if above the antenna). I wil stay out 200 feet untell ready to quit, then I will return to shore (RIDING) if I'm above the antenna. I will self land (ON WATER) if I'm below the antenna whether there are people on the beach or not. Also 5ht lines will make this policy much easyer to live with,
L.M.G.

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:19 am

It depends a lot on your kite and safety system what you will do to do roll the lines up. People like LMG who use a 5th line or others with a new Recon for example may have an easier time since the kite stays nicely depowered all the way through. (You may have a little more line salad though with 5 lines).

Other leash systems - which require you to roll up one line (front or back) first and then get to the others require you to to have a nice distance from shore since the kite will flap around a bit in the wind window - depending on the strength of the wind. It will also still drag you quickly to shore if the wind is strong and you can not stand up (in high tide conditions).

Just be aware of how your safety system works, perhaps upgrade to the latest and greatest and practice in low tide conditions far from shore.

LMG is right - it makes us the best kiters in the Bay. Although there is competition - I heard it is pretty standard at European beaches....

Happy kiting! - Sylvia
ps: I also hate it to get my kite wet...but hey - keeping the public happy and this way the beach available for us is worth it

shmed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmed » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:20 am

Would it be possible to designate an area downwind at the end of the beach (perhaps somewhere around the latitude of the post office) as an official landing area? For the rest of the beach, maintain the no-flying over the beach rule.

This way Alameda stays a bit more beginner friendly to those who can't stay upwind, while eliminates some arguments posted here or at ikitesurf or kiteforum that water landing/line coiling creates addtional safety issues. I do think its safer to have one limited area downwind where people are very likely to be around to help people land their kites, rather than risk mistakes with lots of inexperienced people water landing/ coiling. It also preserves the majority of the beach for the public, and doesn't materially change their usable area.

The set-up could be similar to 3rd ave in concept without the rocks-- upwind launch, downwind land-- if you can't stay upwind then you should walk back up. No kites allowed over the beach in-between.

Any thoughts? Thanks alot for everyone's efforts in this-- the kiting community out here is really great, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and commitment to safer and community-symbiotic kiting.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Downwind landing zone

Post by andyandmarlys » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:34 am

I think this is a great idea if it can be implemented...(need to have cones or permanant signs or something) A designated landing area as well as the designated launch area.. This would be a place that you could land your kite to another kiter (the safest landing in my opinion) if someone is there, and if no one is there, stick to the water landing....

This would solve alot of people's problems with not wanting to wet thier kites.. Plus I see it easing the traffic clog somewhat at the upwind launch..

For all I care make it in front of my place (.7 miles downwind) and even if i'm not kiting I would be able to keep an eye on things for safety, and help land kites when I was available.. Plus on my downwinders I would might have someone available to land my kite...

shmed wrote:Would it be possible to designate an area downwind at the end of the beach (perhaps somewhere around the latitude of the post office) as an official landing area? For the rest of the beach, maintain the no-flying over the beach rule.

This way Alameda stays a bit more beginner friendly to those who can't stay upwind, while eliminates some arguments posted here or at ikitesurf or kiteforum that water landing/line coiling creates addtional safety issues. I do think its safer to have one limited area downwind where people are very likely to be around to help people land their kites, rather than risk mistakes with lots of inexperienced people water landing/ coiling. It also preserves the majority of the beach for the public, and doesn't materially change their usable area.

The set-up could be similar to 3rd ave in concept without the rocks-- upwind launch, downwind land-- if you can't stay upwind then you should walk back up. No kites allowed over the beach in-between.

Any thoughts? Thanks alot for everyone's efforts in this-- the kiting community out here is really great, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and commitment to safer and community-symbiotic kiting.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:02 pm

we talked about a lower land site
its being chewed on.
also if you come back to the beach downwind and some kiter is there, can we land to a spotter after the antena? or do we just dump the kite in the water anyway?
i would think if someones around to land it ,fine. just dont fly it walking back up the beach
charlie

windhorny
Old School
Old School

What if...

Post by windhorny » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:28 pm

What if there is no one around on a weekday and there is 10 mph of wind, I do one jump and find myself below the antenna. Then I realize there is a great white shark about to bite me and to top it all off I need to take a shit! Can I come walk my kite up real quick? SHould I be saving money in anticipation for a hefty ticket everytime I board?

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:56 pm

I think it's a great learning opportunity for all...

- it really motivates to learn how to go upwind
- you will learn a lot about your safety system and self rescue procedures
- about other peoples kite systems
- it's also good for personality development...like...stop whining and just jump over that shark. take a leak in that wetsuit like a man and roll up you lines.
- and all the people who know everything and got bored will get wet again and so will their kites. Back to the roots. That was fun, don't remember?

On a more serious note....it seems that plenty people do not understand yet where the request comes from:
The park has gotten complaints from beachgoers about kites being walked in the air. What I heard is that the park was considering putting an ordinance in place to prohibit that including enforcement. An ordinance however is somewhat a very official involvement (what could be steps after that?), we better get this out of the way ourselves.

The funny thing really is that more dangerous situations happen mostly during the launch. I hope we will address that a.s.a.p. and properly also. We can not allow a kite with lines hitting the road or the bikepath. This is unacceptable and happened way too often in the past. And also the kiters who injured themselves.
We need to find a location where we can launch towards the water as it is standard at all other places. The best option to me seems to be the area where the bush is and a bit up of there.

Cheers! -Sylvia