Launching with board leash attached?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Launching with board leash attached?

Post by jjm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:03 am

I've seen a few people try to launch with their board leash already attached. I don't believe this is very safe. Does anyone else agree? Should I recommend against next time I see it happen?

loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Get rid of the leash

Post by loserdavies » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:24 am

I understand people learning using a leash. I tell everyone I see the first jump they do, get rid of the leash. I have see a lot of freaky accidents with those leashes. I saw one of the clamp type leashing inside someones foot. They jumped it detached from the board and stuck in the guys foot. I remember thinking how that was even possible. Get rid of your leashes people.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:53 pm

I don't want to "jump" into this leash debate, but...

On Friday at Sherman, I was on a downwinder in nuclear conditions with several people (various skill levels). The swell was 3 ft. high in places. Myself and one other guy had recently given up using our leashes because we are learning to jump.

As we headed downwind, the wind picked up and we were all overpowered. I got yarded hard by a gust. It took me 20 minutes to find and body drag to my board. We still had over two miles to go, so I attached my leash (I have a retractable one and it was still on the back of my harness). There was no way I was going to do any jumps that day.

The other guy who recently abandoned his leash lost his board three times. On the third time, he lost it completely. Down in the water, he literally could not see one wave behind you, the swell was so big. After tacking back adn forth for 15 minutes, I found his board. It was so gusty that I didn't want to get close to him, so I dropped the board upwind of him about 25 feet. He almost immediately got yanked out of the water by a gust and pulled in the other direction. I rescued his board again, dropped into the water and body dragged his board to him -- my board dragging behind me on my leash.

I was really, really happy I still had my leash with me that day. And so was he -- because if I hadn't had it, we would have both been out there searching for our boards forever. And I think there are conditions when the leash might help avoid other disasters. Especially if that person finds themselves in challenging conditions and/or has to dump their kite for any reason. When someone is just learning to kite, I don't think the leash adds all that much danger to an otherwise already dangerous sport.

But launching with the leash attached is just dumb.

That's just my opinion. I've been kiting a year, and used my lease until last month with no problems (I always, always wear a helmet). Everyone can go ahead now and tell me what an idiot I am.

Paul

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:05 pm

I go leashless most of the time, and especially when jumping. However, if I know I'm not going to be jumping but just riding around, and especially at Crissy, I'll attach my reel leash (don't like to be body dragging amidst all the boat traffic). I find that it's also helpful to carry a leash on you in the event that you have to tow in someone else's board (or some other object), much like Paul says above.

In any case, however, there's no reason to launch or land the kite with the leash still attached, that's just pure laziness and can pose a major hazard to the kiter and bystanders if the kiter gets lofted due to operator error (esp. at Alameda!) or gusty winds.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:19 pm

Well maybe instead of a leash you should go wake style. I got chopped in the face with a board on my first water lesson because of the baord leash and I was wearing a helmet

Unleashed!

To leash or not to leash?

Post by Unleashed! » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:30 pm

Paul,

For me, it's better to lose a board than my head. If you're powered up, all kinds of things can happen, even if you don't intend to jump.

How about going on a speed run, bringing your kite up and getting lofted off your board, or crashing and then having your kite teabag you.

In high wind, things go to the shitter pretty quick, especially if you're a beginner. You increase your chances of getting hit dramatically, by giving your board "missile" a guidance system.

Just ask anyone who has used one and eventually ditched it. ( Some gory rated R FearLu pics come to mind...good thing his head is hard! ](*,) )

I think the key to you guys riding that day was to use a buddy system and help each other with lost boards. It takes a bit of practice, but you can fly your kite while holding an extra board. I wouldn't suggest dragging an extra board via your leash while riding.

The boards are not too hard to find when you're standing on top of the water, kiting. Pick it up, drop it downwind of the dragging rider. Don't need to get close. Just downwind.

As for high wind, mans gotta know his limitations and call it quits when it gets hairball. Come in and re-rig.

Cya out on the river!

Eric

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:50 pm

Just for the record,
I wasn't riding while dragging the board with my leash, I was body dragging holding one board and dragging the other on my leash. And while I was on the board, I was able to control my kite completely by edging. Body dragging, however, was pretty scary -- getting jacked out of the water, etc.

There were lots of things that made that day less than ideal, but let's face it, in this sport if you only go out on perfect days, you don't go out much. And if you wanted a sport where you were guaranteed to be safe every minute, you'd be doing something else.

I don't think I'll be using my board leash much anymore, but I don't see any reason not to keep it there on the back of my harness, just in case.

Paul

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:24 am

I think its up to everyone to make their own decision about wearing or not wearing a leash, as long as they make an informed decision knowing what saftey risks they are taking. (and maybe look at a few pics first to see what has happened to others)

I personally ditched the leash long ago, but then again I ride fresh water, so I rarely have to deal with monster waves. One thing I have found helpful is I keep a 4 foot leash with a velcro strap on the end tied to the back of my harness so that if I need to drag in (or out) self rescue, or just take a break, etc. I attach the short leash around the boards foot strap just to keep my hands free, it has come in handy several times. The nice thing about using the velcro is that if for some reason I ever get loaded up and went for a ride like this, the strap easily lets go of the board and I can drag back to it.

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:08 am

First of all - of COURSE board leashes should be avoided at all and folks should learn how to bodydrag upwind - which now is already being part of the lesson plans of most kiteschools (PASA).

But if you think you must have a board leash then please first launch the kite and then attach the leash (kite pointing towards the water).

And yes - if someone sees a kiter launching while having the board already leashed on - please walk up to them and ask them to first launch and then attach. You could also consider helping them to get the leash on (if they have a helmet, leashed ktiers without a helmet I personally would discourage from going out).

Just describe what happens if their kite gets out of control and they get dragged. With the board attached...yeehaw! They do not just injure themselves but everyone in their way is in serious danger.

btw - I saw a couple of injuries from board leashes and once drove a buddy to the hospital so he could get stitches. The kiting day was over for him.

Cheers! - Sylvia