No kites in the air over the beach past antenna?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
No kites in the air over the beach past antenna?

Post by jjm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:29 am

How strictly will this rule be enforced? If I go out for awhile and end up downwind, I'm prepared to have to self rescue, or come in at a designated downwind landing area.

However, if you launch, drag/walk out 200', take a couple power strokes and find that you're really going nowhere, you're going to be past the antenna.

I'm sure with experience, and with the benefit of a windsock indicating that a certain windspeed is being maintained, it is easier to make the go/no go decision.

So is this something that would be overlooked if it is obvious the intent is to come right back and land, and not RPM?

Stefano Moris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefano Moris » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:12 am

I think Greg made a great point, that these rules have to be almost black and white. (not quoting just remembering the jist)

In my opinion, If we get into trying to define a grey area, people will forget/disregard them, or push the envelope etc.... Ultimately people will define and test the grey area themselves, no matter how well things are defined, the grey area just shifts.

I see people making a mental shift from body dragging begginers to "I'm up on the board and never bodydragging again" kind of view. Remember you can haul ass upwind in lightwind just bodydragging, especially if you use your board (grab a footstrap, put the tail under your armpit, and use it to rail) So if you dive your kite a view times and you are below the line, just body drag a couple of tacks upwind. Perhaps easier said than done but it is a fundamental skill in kitesurfing that can save your but in a variety of situations. -stef

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:43 am

Regarding body dragging in this hypothetical situation, wouldn't that not be the best idea right in front of the launch zone?

Stefano Moris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefano Moris » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:38 pm

I was assuming you are already out past the 200 ft marker -stef

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:23 pm

Stefano Moris wrote:I was assuming you are already out past the 200 ft marker -stef
You've got a point.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:01 pm

I think many good things will come of this policy "IF" we can get it going!
We will have a more independent kite body and body dragging "IS" a must in several locations so this is going to prepare the riders better and give them extra encentive to deveope there skill and self suficency.
L.M.G.