Small Craft Warning...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:51 am

I have seen steel several times thicker than that break when used under the same circumstances it had been used 100 times before. That attachment point was probably bent back and forth slightly, maybe microscopically, 1000 times and gradually started to crack.

I wonder if anyone designing these things really knows how much force gets put on one of them during a long kiting season. On Friday at Sherman, my lines were so taught that they were visibly vibrating and humming. I was overpowered and edging so hard that I was barely moving but still staying fully upright. I kept thinking "if something is going to break, it's going to happen today".

Glad you made it back to shore, Ollie.

Paul

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:57 am

Hey Zeev!

Ollie's doing unhooked jumps now...

:wink:

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:36 am

Seems to me that upward lift forces on the hook that are heavy, sudden and repeated many, many times should be the very minimum at what that SS spreader bar should be able to withstand. To me, what happened to you is not in the least bit okay. You were lucky to get away unharmed.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:45 am

I'm just surprised that given that it happened with no warning, I was able to hold on and that the bar didn't get ripped out of my hands. I don't know how far the kite would have sailed on it's own, but it could have been far enough to be, well, really bad.

One of the things about kiting that is probably best not to think about too much after incidents happen, is what could have happened, but didn't.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:50 am

jstjohn3

Posted: Today at 11:36 am Post subject:

Seems to me that upward lift forces on the hook that are heavy, sudden and repeated many, many times should be the very minimum at what that SS spreader bar should be able to withstand. To me, what happened to you is not in the least bit okay. You were lucky to get away unharmed.
I agree. Your using that bar for what it was designed for. Ollie put a lot of pressure on it, but what were they thinking you were going to do with it? If it can't stand up to someone who likes to jump then they should say so. Maybe because the Slingshot guys did everything unhooked while testing the bar. I think that if you pay $120 for something that simple the least it should do is hold up to what it was ment for. Ollie you weren't hooking it to your bumper to tow cars around with it were you??
Dewey

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:09 pm

Actually, I'm moving to Stockton in late Sept early Oct timeframe so I hope there's still some good riding then and hopefully I'll meet some of you before the season is over. If not, then I'll be seeing you on the mountain!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:07 pm

That's pretty much the end of our season. Good news is your only 30 min. from the delta. Best place in the US.

Welcome
Dewey
Dewey

kies

Post by kies » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:01 pm

Ollie

What wer you on...Outrage?

I had the WW CC bar snap on me this week in the delta. good air and then poof.
the eject piece and the whole spinner part flew off..leash and all....Bye BYe kite.
Meanwhile I am being dragged backwards by the tide at a nice clip.

No one seeemed overly concerned but me. Luckily Dentist Paul dragged me to the kite, saved my friggin ass and I made it to an island.
Stuck there with a broken bar, and ripped kite I finally got a ride on a waverunner.
That outrage has some pull when the bar locks up because the bearings fell out of the little pulley. 2nd use too. Anyway, strong kite

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:13 pm

Yes, it was one of the Outrages, and meter for meter, they are a beast of a kite!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:07 am

Kies, sorry to hear about that. Funny I've been flying on the same bar and kite in way overpowered conditions and so far no problems. I got my stuff last year. I think I better update my line.

Thanks for the warning. First Ollie then you. I hope I'm not next.
Dewey