Rapture vs Rage 12

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:31 am

Paul, sounds like your lines are OK and you just might want to tune them at the pigtails slightly. The main reason I have my bars set this way is that it's uncomfortable for me to have the bar all the way to be at full power. And for me, slight oversheeting can help in fairly light conditions, although on some kites oversheeting kills the kite. I like knowing where the power is, but having a little leeway on either end.

One thing that allows for finer and steadier control is the CC bar. I wore through the sheeting line on two bars, but Charlie hooked me up and fixed them up with new Amsteel line. I had to ride a conventional bar for a couple days, and after using the CC bar, regular bars felt pretty sloppy, except for the Slingshot bar, which was nice because of the fat rope, which offered some resistance and the sheeting line stoppers, which controls your throw range.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:04 am

I agree with Ollie, but I like about 4 inches to over sheet. If I want to go straight down wind I could point my board at my kite oversheet it and it is like a sail. Also if I oversheet it I could get a bit more grunt out of the kite. Works great for boosting to.

dewey
Dewey

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:44 am

Yeah it does come in handy for going downwind. I've mostly gotten used to it, so I probably won't mess with it.

The LF Powerlock bar has a flexible sleeve covering the whole chicken loop/sheet line. Seems like other manufacturers would have adopted this by now (obvioulsly wouldn't work with the CC bar).

I have the B-SAFE bar on my Rage, which I know changes the whole kiting experience with those kites. I'd love to demo a Rage with the CC bar to see if I want to make the switch.

Paul

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:28 pm

It'll take more than a demo Paul. You need several sessions to get the hang of that bar. Then going back to the bsafe bar , you'll notice the difference.

Dewey
Dewey

Mattdog
Joey
Joey

Post by Mattdog » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:58 pm

Im getting used to my 12m rapture and decided to keep it. With 18 knots it starts to jump like a normal kite with a bit more hang time. I exchanged the CC bar with a 56cm B-safe and got the 45 b-safe for my 8m Rage II (which turns dumb fast on a 55 bar). Still a bit scared about self beach launching the Rapture. I have done my first back rolls ever on the rapture in about 18 knots. It is really easy to downloop thru transitions, and the steering as someone else put it is "precise". The low end is normal for a 12, about 13 knots for me, 170 lb.

Windwing is selling 04 Outrage 14s for $299. Considering it for my light wind kite. Do you think I would get much more low end than teh 12 Rapture? It should stay upwind more easily in light wind being high aspect, no ?

Cheers

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:44 pm

I can't compare the 2 kites, but the outrage will get you going faster than most other kites. Upwind like a dream.

Dewey
Dewey

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:18 pm

Outrages changed much from 04 to 05 ?

M

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:55 am

Yes, the 05 is ligher, tips are wider, the kite turns much faster, the leading edge is smaller, and they got rid of 2 struts.

Dewey
Dewey