Alameda Meeting

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Alameda Meeting

Post by OliverG » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:22 pm

This is a public forum, there's always going to be fact and opinions. Just like at a Town Meeting, everyone has ideas and opinions. We're not expert witnesses of anything and nothing we say is the last word on anything, just a community of kiters that recognize the need for additional self-regulation to promote safety and to protect the public, our sport and maintain access. It can be done. We just need to be proactive and put into place some measures to reduce and eliminate any potential problems. Complaints from the public should not occur and virtually all accidents can be prevented.

- Crowded holiday weekends should be voluntary no-kite days. 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc. Deciding when to have voluntary no-kite days or hours is worthwhile. Perhaps summer Sundays also during certain hours.

- The Beach Steward or Guide concept is worthwhile.

It's time to turn some of these ideas into actions. Some of things discussed so far can go along way to alleviate issues.

A meeting should be organized to hammer out a plan. There is a group of individuals who would likely be willing to spearhead an effort and there is likely support to be found to assist with any expenses.

So, a time and place within a week or so should be decided on to get something done to benefit the public and the kiting community. In the meantime, if you are present at Alameda, be proactive.

It's in your hands. No further need to discuss who did what or what happened when, just if you are willing to lend your support.

Thanks,
Oliver Govers

kies

Post by kies » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:53 pm

Excellent

Well said.

Stefano Moris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefano Moris » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:53 pm

Sounds great! I'm willing. I've already told Rebecca I'd volunteer 4 Saturdays a season to be a beach steward/kiteboy/whatever. If there where a few handfulls of likeminded individuals we'd have a summer covered. I also would like to add the buoy boundary notion to your list of things to discuss. How about a post session BBQ discussion at Alameda/Crown Beach this Sunday, wind or no wind. Name the time and place and I'll be there. -stef

Rebecca

This Sunday!

Post by Rebecca » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

Ollie, thanks for being proactive. I'm just getting caught up from all of my work now that Jane is recovering from surgery.

How about Sunday at 5:30? BBQ at the shack. Everyone's invited to bring some food, pencils and paper for ideas. I'll contact everyone on my volunteer list to see if they can join.

I've been talking to the Park Staff and have an idea of the issues and what they are thinking. In the meantime, if anyone wants to volunteer to be a beach steward this weekend, stop by the shack. I'll lend you a red rash guard that we can turn inside out (so it doesn't read Boardsports Instructor) and you can use that to designate yourself as a Beach Steward for this weekend (Until we can get some other rash guards made).

Thanks again for everyone being proactive about the beach!

-Rebecca - Boardsports Shack

kite-o-matik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kite-o-matik » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:59 pm

Far be it from me to suggest that there are other sports, but this weekend is the MotoGP at Laguna Seca. Someone take notes and post them! I'll miss you guys!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:09 pm

Rebecca,

Unfortunately I will not able to make it Sunday due to previous plans. Do you think having a midweek evening meeting might be better? Might have better turnout as it's possible many others may have weekend plans also. Having a dedicated meeting without the distractions of the beach and the shack might be more conducive as well.

Just my thoughts. Let the popular vote decide.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:30 pm

Rebecca,

In the original "Alameda Ban" thread you mentioned that once you got a list of issues you would try to post them online. Have you received them yet, or did I miss them?

I'd be willing to post on Kiteforum (when it is back online) a thread asking for advice on how spots have taken it upon themselves to shape up to avoid bans or get bans removed.

Something I believe would be cool is that one of the outcomes of this meeting(s?) is to prepare a pamphlet that could be picked up in/around the shack, and given out post KWS/BoardSports/etc lessons that describes Alameda Guidelines, map and description of landing area, diagrams of right-of-way procedures, etc. Maybe there could be some corporate sponsorship from the local shops, iKiteSurf, etc to cover material costs in exchange for some type of advertising? Also should include references to local resources -- BAK.com, iKitesurf, tide tables, wind talker, etc?

Something else I thought up, maybe if the beach steward idea is implemented, have some type of meeting on weekends before wind picks up (noon, early afternoon) where the guidelines and rules can be discussed in person (i.e. verbal/visual renforcement, all those different methods of instructing, etc). There would be a lot of benefits, for example someone new would be able to become familiar with who the "beach stewards" are even if they're not wearing "formal" rash guards, and be comfortable and on first name basis type of thing to approach with a question (as opposed to approaching someone you've never spoken with and feeling like an ASS).

I'm a pretty shy person, and I believe that having met a lot of you before starting out made it much easier for me to ask questions.

Don't know if the whole pamphlet/sponsorship idea would fly, but assuming some revenue could come in, maybe it could also fund getting the stewards lunch, snacks, post-session beer or something for their time!

I'll try to make it to the meeting. As someone who is still in the early stages, and being pretty comfortable at Alameda, I might have some "newbie insight".

Cheers,
Josh

p.s. sorry for the massive amount of "quotes".

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Reminder:

If you can make it today at 5 or 5:30pm for the BBQ and meeting, please do so. It has been quite some time since there's been any real action, and just a lot of talk, so the time is ripe to do something.

As I mentioned, previous plans and short notice preclude my attendance, but I will help to support and implement any new ideas decided upon.

david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by david » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:28 pm

The SFBA would be happy to cover any reasonable expenses involved

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:39 pm

THe meeting went very well. We were all well behaved and produced a couple of new policy changes, or maybe just reinforced the need to really follow the guidleines.
#1 No kites are to be flown while on shore below the controll antenna. "When your feet hit the sand, your kite should be in hand". This new policy will stand untell furter notice. NO MORE WALKJING KITES UP HE BEACH!
#2 We ask all kiters to help us to impliment the guidlines in a non-confrntational mannor! No one is able to inforce anything as a rule. IT"S MEERLY A GUIDLINE AND EACH OF US HAS A RESPONCIBILITY TO HELP IN THE EFFORT. If you run into anyone that rejects this new policy they are to get several other kiters to help inform the indivedual that this is Alameda policy and not subject to wim. ALL ARE GOING TO BE IN FULL COMPLIANCE OR WE ALL ARE GOING TO BE SUBJECT TO FINES IN THE FUTURE.
NO FIGHTING< NO HARRESSING<NO LOCALISM LIKE BEHAVIOR, PERIOD!!! JUST KITERS WORKING TOGATHER AND HAVING FUN TOGATHER!
L.M.G.