North Kite

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
rymonroe
Contributor
Contributor
North Kite

Post by rymonroe » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:16 pm

I have a Vegas 05 and someone told me that after couple of flights the fifth line will shrink and you have to add one of extensions located in either of the wing tips. I was just waundering if this is true or not. Thanks

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:31 pm

the fifth line doesnt shrink.... the frontlines stretch....

most of the pull of a kite comes from the frontlines, so they stretch more than the backlines and a lot more than the fifth, since the fifth has very little tension.

Prestretching your lines helps limit this.

To remedy this you need to make your frontlines shorter OR make your backlines and your fifthline longer. I'm not sure on the specifics of how to do it with a 5thE kite, but it's easy enough with a 4 or standard 5 line setup.

rymonroe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rymonroe » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:47 am

This is the first kite I have ever owned. How do I know if my frontlines have stretched.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:08 am

If the front and back lines are the same length (usually the are): Take them out, rig them on a sturdy hook like a fence, pull tight and see the difference between a front line and a back line. As said, the load is on the front lines, so they stretch more. Back lines don't stretch as much if at all.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:39 am

Ryan--- if you didn't get a DVD with your kite, come by KWS and pick one up. It goes over tuning the 5th line and has some cool riding as well