HellFish

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:21 am

I think the Cuben fiber LE is heat welded to produce an airtight LE without the need for a bladder.

shmed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmed » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:28 am

Any insight on what happens if there's a rip in the LE? Is it easily repairable to air-tight condition? Seems like you'd have to think about potential external damage if there's no bladder.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:05 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:Well, it wasn't one of Kinsley's kites, but someone else who had a 3rd gen proto, blew it up and then got a production kite. I'm not saying they're bad, just that from what people said it wasn't the magic kite it's been hyped as and that when the kite went on the water, it seemed soft and didn't look to have a lot of body making a relaunch tricky. It was set up with a 5th line, but for some reason the kite went down in such a way that it didn't help.

And finally, after a somewhat lengthy battle to relaunch it, everyone cheered when it did go back up, because the way it folding inside out and flopping around it seemed like it was all over. The rider's skill must have saved that one. ;)
Ollie, my replacement HF is the same 3rd generation proto as the others...no production kites in Ca yet.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:13 pm

The whole thing just reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon, where the tech guys are talking out loud about some crazy idea and the sales/marketing guys hear them and start the marketing, then turn around and tell the tech guys they have until June 1 or whenever to make the thing work.

I hope Best is paying all those "investors" who pre-ordered their HF interest on the loan.

Paul

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:44 pm

After extensive research yielding the conclusion that the patented Cuben material had no equal, an exclusivity agreement was signed between Best Kiteboarding and Cuben Fiber and the Hellfish was announced.Because custom Cuben Fiber made exclusively for Best is so strong, initial Hellfish prototypes were designed to achieve maximum aerodynamic efficiency through ultra-thin leading edges and struts that could hold a higher air pressure to support the shape of the kite (unfortunately, real world testing found that the bladders exploded when pumped up to this pressure).

It astounded the R&D team to find out that the Cuben Fiber material was so structurally sound that the leading edge and struts did not need higher air pressure. The aerodynamically thin leading edge could be preserved without higher than normal pressures (Which is a good thing, because the Hellfish didn't really fly so good when Best told everyone not to pump the bladders up so hard or they would explode).

This is hilarious. The principle is something like "The Hellfish is the best kite on the planet, but we still felt like we had to make something better. But still, you gotta buy a Hellfish to keep you going until the Nemi-flat comes out".

The copy is the writing equivalent of a monster truck radio ad, with lots of tech terms thrown in.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:49 pm

KillaHz wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:Well, it wasn't one of Kinsley's kites, but someone else who had a 3rd gen proto, blew it up and then got a production kite. I'm not saying they're bad, just that from what people said it wasn't the magic kite it's been hyped as and that when the kite went on the water, it seemed soft and didn't look to have a lot of body making a relaunch tricky. It was set up with a 5th line, but for some reason the kite went down in such a way that it didn't help.

And finally, after a somewhat lengthy battle to relaunch it, everyone cheered when it did go back up, because the way it folding inside out and flopping around it seemed like it was all over. The rider's skill must have saved that one. ;)
Ollie, my replacement HF is the same 3rd generation proto as the others...no production kites in Ca yet.
Thanks for the final word. That';s what I gathered later, seems some thought it was production. I posted a correction so as not to spread misinformation.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:53 pm

Just weighed my 2004 Globerider 12m Lift. It weighs nearly the same as the Hellfish

Hellfish 11M = 2.8kg

Hellfish 13M = 3.05kg

Gk Lift 12M= 3.08kg

imaginary 12m Hellfish 2.93kg.

Where is the 70% lighter? Though the cuben fiber is 70% lighter than chikara, icarex, etc. The main weight of lei kites comes from the polyurethane bladders. The present hellfish is only 4.9% lighter than other kites. We'll have to wait and see if the 2006 bladderless ones are truly significantly lighter kites. Yawn..........

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:29 pm

yeah, everybody knows now that it is a smellfish ...

Nice comparison ... THNX, K

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:27 pm

Or is it a hypefish?

kitergeek
Joey
Joey

Post by kitergeek » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:25 am

It's the Hellafish. Wow that kite is hella cool :twisted:

Kinsley shouldn't waste his time with the Best clowns.