Alameda Ban?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:15 am

I think we all know that if something is going to happen, it's not going to be sparked by an internet forum, but rather by someone getting hurt.

If this thread is evidence of anything, it is that the kiting community is concerned about the problem and is discussing proactive ways to deal with it.

Government agencies deal with issues like this by negotiating among the "stakeholders". A bunch of individuals acting alone have no influence over these agencies; a bunch of people who share a common interest and can make lots of noise in support of it do.

Kiters have just as much right to use the beach as sunbathers, as long as they are responsible and don't severely impact other people's use. Unlike some other sports (mountain biking, for example), our usage has no negative environmental impact on the resource. We just have to make sure everyone is being a good citizen.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:29 am

BOBS proposal about a ban is best for now!
There are only a few days a year that we can expect crowded beaches. I think a VOLENTARY BAN on at least three days should be implamented immeaditly, the July 4th first comes to mind then Labor Day weekend.
Post signs well ahead, have several people volunteer on the days to moniture and ask people nicely to read the signs and then threaten to shame them for non compliance. IF NESSARRY, take there photo if they refewise and post it on the shack on a WALL OF SHAME telling others of there misconduct and asking the other kiters to apply PEER PRESSURE for misconduct.
We cant enforse a ban but many would be wise enough to avoid the greef from there fellow kiters. No one wants to be the bad guy, this is both the problem and the solution!
Good luck,
L.M.G.

D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by D » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:39 am

I think that we could do better than a voluntary kite ban. You know the old saying about one bad apple.

I would propose a "one-strike-you're-out" rule: if someone crashes a kite on the beach, no more assisted launches for the day.

I've noticed that untrained kiters often crash theiry kites over and over again, and I cannot believe that anyone offers them yet another assisted launch.

kies

Post by kies » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Good luck enforcing the one strike rule.

I have to say I agree with Ollie. =D> Ban the summer weekends.
Self regulate. OR No kiiting on weekends from ? 11 a.m to ? 4pm or 5pm or?(peak hours, usually better wind later anyway).

There will always be someone who screws up. he key is to be sure it's not crowded when that happens.

Did you read what happened in the gorge at rufus the other day. ?
Experienced kiter (board shaper). sends 2 bystanding lady's and himself to the hospital.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:46 pm

Holy Jesus, I saw two asshats trying to launch their kite from the sidewalk right over the fence. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I ran over and asked them to launch at the launch area and the response was, 'well, we usually get it up the first time and I don't know what's wrong today, we'll give it one more go?' -- those are the same guys mentioned earlier that had the bar upside-down and insisted it was interchangable. The worst part is that I have never seen any of these people before and I'm there every day.