RRD?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
RRD?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:11 am

Hi,
I need a 15M, was thinking about RRD. ZH or Type 6? I am still learning, but have good kite control from years of kiting off the water, so flying an advanced kite is not a big deal.
The ZH comes with 5th line I understand out of the box, so no extra R&D on my side is required, which is a big plus. I want easy relaunch and not likely go into the waves any time soon.

What are the ups and downs of each? Seems that most people like those kites, I didn't see much written on them but the little is all positive.

Does the T6 have a 5th line? Is there a standard setup, or do I have to hack something on the valve?
How about the cool depower that the Type Wave has, is this something that you can transfer to the other RRDs, or is it complicated?
Are the bars standard, or do I have to use the RRD bars like on the Type Wave?

It seems that in this forum there is relatively more written on RRD than in other places.

Thanks!

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:28 am

The RRD kites (ZH in particular) work VERY well. In the past month I have ridden the North Rhino and Vegas, Slingshot Fuel and Machine, Ocean Rodeo Bronco, Naish Raven and Best Hellfish. The ZH does many of the key things SO well that I can heartily recommend it. You may not be jumping yet, but the boost is truly remarkable and the speed of the kite (both turning and in terms of board speed) is very high. You will also note it's ability to go to windward easily as an added bonus. The range of the ZH-16 is second to none of the above. Buy one and your friends will be jealous without even knowing it!

The relaunch is really easy with the 5th line and I know some people have retrofitted the Type 6 that way. I also think it's entirely possible that the Type 7 (a 2005 mid-season introduction) will be able to be rigged as a 4-line kite, a 5-line kite or with the Wave bar for total de-power.

That may be the ticket for some, but life is too short not to be riding the ZH kites IMHO. You probably guessed I like them a lot!
Go bigga'

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:33 am

We write more here since we like the kites a lot, and use them in a bunch of different conditions. I agree with everything Dave says about the 13 ZH. It really is a magical kite. The type 6 is also a great kite, but the ZH was an improvement. I could have saved you some cash, but I just sold my 15 type 6 yesterday.

Really no down side on the ZH. The type 6 can be had for less cash, and has many of the qualities that led to the development of the ZH. The type six however: is not as easy to relaunch, does not give you the same loft on jumps, and is a bit less forgiving if you oversheet the kite. I will have a 12 and 9 to sell pretty soon. My wife and kids love the 5, 7, and 9, type six. The type 6 is a great all around kite, as it turns quick, feels light on the bar, gets upwind well, and has smooth power coming through the window.

If you have cash and time, wait for the type 7, as it will do everything you want - depower like the type wave, hang better on jumps like the ZH, and relaunch easy. I am going to pick up a couple as soon as they are out. However, the season is here, and you would love the ZH if buying new, and type 6 is you want to save a buck...

bob

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks a lot. I had the idea that here I will get the inside story.
How about the ZH 16? Do you like it as much as the 13? I already have something for the smaller size.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:35 pm

I don't have a 13....talk to Dave.

I just go for the 13 and a skim when it is light..

Bob

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:35 pm

oopss..meant 16...

Dave said they are pretty nice kites, however...

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:01 pm

The ZH-16 is the finest "big kite" I've ever ridden-- by a fair margin. And, yes, I admit I prefer the 13, but in general the smaller the kite the better the performance and conditions, so...
Go bigga'

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:05 pm

What about the Type Z (previous model)? I have seen a few for sale. How much better is the ZH?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:15 am

If you can afford the ZH it's better in every way. Most significant difference from the Z-16 to ZH-16 is kite speed and windward ability. Boost and broad range are similar. Relaunch is a whole different animal however-- the 5th line works great.
Go bigga'

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:30 pm

Thanks a lot, thats basically what I wanted to know. Used ZH 16 for sale anyone? :)