Beach Stewards?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Beach Stewards?

Post by OliverG » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:34 am

A member of the site has suggested an interesting possibility.

It seems that one of the problems is that many people simply aren't aware of the rules and guidelines, and not just at Alameda, it applies to other launches as well.

There may be folks who are new and might still be a bit intimidated so they don't ask questions and therefore aren't fully aware.

Would it be worthwhile for some proactive individuals at these sites to become informal beach stewards? It may be possible with the support of BAK, UN and the SFBA to have some rashies printed up in red or so, with the supporters logos that read, "Ask me about safe kiteboarding at this launch.", or something to that effect.

Worthwhile idea? Waste of time? What do you think?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:50 am

i like it
it could be on line fast.
but to get the good kiters to do the right thing is more important to me.
the rules are posted on the shack
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:53 am

The only time I ever recall anyone reading the rules on the Shack is when Donnie and Ben were making fun of LMG's artistic skills....two years ago. Maybe I'm not so observant, but it seems to get ignored.

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:18 am

It's an interesting thought.

For liability reasons (?) such a shirt should perhaps just say "Alameda local kiter" , something neutral...

However - the question is who would distribute them to whom, which criteria? Whoever does that may want to have insurance like the kiteschools have.

It's America and not Australia or Germany...that's why I am thinking liability...

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:20 pm

I don't think just anyone will want to wear one because you take on a lot of responsibility when you do wear one. i.e you kind of have to follow the rules yourself. I am a bit concerned with the liability issue because that is a lot for someone to take on.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:39 pm

My first alameda experience was a big embarrasment for me. I set my kite up wrong and it wouldn't stay in the air. But I did read the rules and such and asked a few people about the protocol at this beach. Of couses the first thing I saw was people breaking most of those rules. I did take the time to tell some passersby to kindly get out of the launch area. It was funny because I got to the point where I was so tired of getting my kite to relaunch that I just released. it, but the wind was so weak that the reslease didn't actuate. I felt like I was flying an oversive trainer.

Maybe I need to get another lesson (this time on how to set up a WW Rage II).

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:05 pm

If a rashie says "Ask me about safe kiteboarding at this launch." all anyone is doing is offering their opinion and advice based on commonly accepted guidelines, not representing themselves as the final word and authority on safe kiteboarding, no?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:06 pm

RobsterCraw wrote:
Maybe I need to get another lesson (this time on how to set up a WW Rage II).
I'd be happy to help you rig your SAFE bridles.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:16 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:
I'd be happy to help you rig your SAFE bridles.
I really thought I had it setup right but the back lines were loose even though I had the front lines sheeted out all the way. Maybe the front lines were all wrong. Otherwise I have no idea what was up. I have a new Rage II 14m that I haven't set up yet.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:59 pm

Just buy me a magaphone, I'll hand out the punishment too.
"NO KITING FOR YOU!!!",
L.M.G. (The kite Nazi)

P.S. this is a joke