Gorge-Columbia River

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Hana
Regular
Regular
Gorge-Columbia River

Post by Hana » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:18 am

Hello,

I see some people posting from Columbia River. I'd like to go there sometime, in fact I might as well just go possibly soon. On ikitesurf, which area exactly am I looking at? Is it Swell City or Maryhill? What kite size am I looking at? I have both 6m and 6.5m, assuming you need a small kite. Any input appreciated!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:21 am

I may be heading up there to the Hood River area myself this summer, so I'd be interested in hearing more about the area also....

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: Gorge-Columbia River

Post by KillaHz » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:51 am

Hana wrote:Hello,

I see some people posting from Columbia River. I'd like to go there sometime, in fact I might as well just go possibly soon. On ikitesurf, which area exactly am I looking at? Is it Swell City or Maryhill? What kite size am I looking at? I have both 6m and 6.5m, assuming you need a small kite. Any input appreciated!
There are quite a few places to ride in the Gorge. The most popular would be "The Sand Bar" in hood river. Maryhill is East of the hood. THe later in the summer you go, the warmer and lighter the wind will be. June/July - 6 - 8m kiting in a full suit. Aug - 12 -16m kiting in a shorty.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Travel Office

Da Gorge

Post by Travel Office » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:44 am

Let me understand this:
You are going to drive 14 hours
Spend $ on gas
Find rocky launches
Find cold water and strong gusty winds

And you are going because?????

As a windsurfer, I've been to the gorge too many times to count. It's a mecca for windsurfing, as it gets very strong winds - which is what you need in wsurfing to have fun. I've been there a few times kiting, and was underwhelmed. Note if you go: you have to drive a lot while there: no camp and kite all day long....some exceptions apply

The beauty of kiting is that you Don't need nukin' wind to have fun. Here in the bay, we are so lucky to have good wind all summer long, not sure why you plan on leaving heaven.....there is an old saying in wsurfing "nevel leave wind to find wind" - it's words of wisdom.

If you have the "I want to travel" itch, check out the coast of CA, floras lake in Oregon, go to SPI or Hatteras.....The gorge is like a big delta with much more boat traffic....sometimes you have to leave heaven to realize that you live there ;-)

Just one dudes opinion....Z.

D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by D » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:23 am

I went to the Gorge once and kept on thinking how much better it is in the delta. But if you go, check out Maryhill and Hood River.

Gorgeous

The Gorge can be Awesome!

Post by Gorgeous » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:02 am

And it rocks over SI....

If you like to windsurf.
I spent a whole July in the Gorge one summer and I sailed 4.0 and below every day except 2.

I watched Bruce Peterson rocket monster air at Dougs beach while it was liquid smoke on the water.

Carved Glassy swell at Rufus and the Wall and sailed with a zoo full of people at the Hatch.

When I came back to Sherman, I was underwhelmed.

But for kites...

It's rocky, gusty, punchy. It nukes there, so if you're a girl or light, your smallest kite can be too big.

That said, people still kite there at places where the wind is a bit mellower.

Places like,

The marina, rufus, stevenson, depending on the launch, celilo, the dalles, and back east.

If you go...bring your pole gear too!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:40 pm

Hmm, I may have to rethink any future plans! I'll set my sights elsewhere, probably Maui. Maui is simply awesome; my favorite place for kite vacations so far....

This was a fun day! Check the whitecaps....

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:57 pm

Thanks everyone! I would still like to visit Gorge at some point though... I just need to get out from this area time to time. I'm going to Maui in Oct. and then to Japan in Nov./Dec. I just need a few hundreds miles on my acct. so that I have free tickets. So I thought Gorge would be nice to visit. I just can't wait till my next trip. I also want to go Cabarete, Hatteras, SPI, etc.. Bay Area just doesn't have Hawaii or one of those tropical islands...

gomez71
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gomez71 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:52 pm

Now that we are talking about travel, I will be in Maui in July does any body know of a web site like bay area kitboarding for Maui?
I know it wont be as good as this site but I am looking for more info to save time on my trip. Any info would be awesome.

Robert

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:57 pm

gomez71 wrote:Now that we are talking about travel, I will be in Maui in July does any body know of a web site like bay area kitboarding for Maui?
I know it wont be as good as this site but I am looking for more info to save time on my trip. Any info would be awesome.

Robert
Rob, this sites one of a kind! Unfortunately, there's no current website or forum for Maui, but you'll likely only be kiting at one of a couple spots. Didn't I give you the info on it already or should I write something up on it? I'm sure others, such as Zeev and Dave could add to it as well.