Poll: Windsurfing

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Poll: Windsurfing

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:08 am

Here's a poll about Windsurfing, what do you think of it these days?
Last edited by OliverG on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sport lover

Wsurfing

Post by Sport lover » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:00 am

All sports are cool.....it's about the smile on your face when you are done, not what gear you are using......wsurfing is very technical and fun.

I would like to see some of the "hot" kiters try to do a vulcan transition or a laydown jibe at Mach 5.....oh yeah, they can rip in the waves.

Good winds, Z.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:06 am

Doesn't interest me. Same wind powered theme but they have a sail while we have a wing. Windsurfing is more like sailing a small boat than it is like surfing. I like boardsports but I'm pretty sure kiteboarding has a hude leg up on windsurfing and its called boosting.

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:10 am

i would love to try windurfing.... but honestly i'll never give up a windy day that i could have kited.

i used to be a "rollerblader :shock: " and took crap from skateboarders all the time. This heated rivalry between strikingly similiar sports is really just bad for everybody involved. We hang out at the same spots and pray for the same conditions. On top of that, windsurfers don't take up nearly as much real estate as kiters do. Each windsurfer should just be seen as another friendly guy that isn't taking up 27 meters of precious space.

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:19 am

Kiting is a lot of fun and yes boosting huge and flying like a bird... well there's nothing else like it that doesn't require a plane or mountain top to jump out of or off of. Also the smaller and lighter bunch of sh*t you have to haul around is a bonus too.

But I would still like to learn to windsurf for those rocken 35 knots+ days when you see those guys silently rocketing across the water in a sweeeeeet blur faster then most boats could keep up with them. They still rain supreme as the sail powered speed kings of the water.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:17 pm

for speed i like windsurfing
for fun and freedom kitesurfing!
charlie

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:41 pm

They get in my way when I am trying to jump!!! :evil:

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:52 am

I'm gonna have to contest the claim about real estate. Are you including the folks who leave their surfer or surfers on the beach, covered with a tarp, apparently for days and days.

Kiters take up space when they are launching, for sure, but on a crowded day, everyone gets in the groove and nests their kites to conserve space. You can easily fit 5 kites in the same space as a couple of windsurfers. If it gets too crowded, you can always deflate a kite or two and make more room for other people.

No way to deflate a windsurf rig. You just have to suck it up and haul it back to your 20 ft., multi-level trailer. And speaking of which, does parking lot real estate count? ...

Both sports hog lots of space.