pump leashes

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Scotty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
pump leashes

Post by Scotty » Thu May 26, 2005 8:05 am

KITEMARE AVOIDED

the other day I went kiting out at OB. I was pumping up my kite with a slingshot pump, the one with the leash attached to it. Well, the hook broke and my kite went sailing along the beach, over the seawall, and onto great highway where it landed leading edge down.

I was very lucky that no one got hurt and the kite suffered no damage. This posting is for people who have these pumps and to not trust these leashes. Instead, go to a hardware store and buy a $2 caribeener and replace the hook and to tie an extra knot where the string goes through the pump. Safety First!!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu May 26, 2005 7:48 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I have had a leash come loose from the pump as the knot was too small and came right through the hole in the base of the pump.

Just so everyone knows, all the pumps out there pretty much come from the same place, irrespective of kite brand, so check them just to be sure as it always possible that this could happen to you.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu May 26, 2005 10:36 pm

I recently had a pump hook break too... Plastic pump hooks suck.... It would be so cheap and easy for kite companies to put something better on the pumps