Has anyone tried the Dakine Nitrous Harness Shorts?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Has anyone tried the Dakine Nitrous Harness Shorts?

Post by Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 8:44 pm

Just curious how they are... Are they comfy?

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Mon May 23, 2005 9:38 pm

I have a pair. It's actually my only harness, or rather, the first one I ever bought. I've been kiting for a year or so. The longest I have ever stayed out on the water is about 3 hours, and they never caused me any discomfort. I don't even wear a spreader bar pad.

I can't really comment on the performance compared to waist or seat harnesses, though, since I've never been on a board with one. I wore a waist harness for my first two lessons, and I hated it, but then, I was just body dragging and it was crushing my ribs the whole time.

If you're planning on buying a pair, I would definitely recommend trying them on with your thinnest wetsuit. I over estimated how thick my suit was, and the harness is a little loose with my shorty on. It doesn't matter that much, because you pretty much use the spreader bar to tighten them up, but as soon as I take the bar off, they fall down.

Paul

kies

Post by kies » Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 pm

been kiting for over 4 years. I use the nitro.
I love 'em . But I am not sure if the back fatigue is due to them or just age. other than that they work great and are easy.
go for it

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon May 23, 2005 10:02 pm

I bought the Dakine Nitrous Harness Shorts a short while back. I bought a size Medium and have a 32" waist, sometimes a tad smaller. In the shop, I tried on the small and medium over street clothes and the medium seemed a better fit than the small, but after two sessions I found them to be very uncomfortable on the verge of painful, and set them aside in favor of my old dakine fursion seat harness which seemed to offer quitea bit more support.

However, I've put the Nitrous shorts back in my truck to try again and will cinch down the straps a bit when fully wet to try and get some more support out of them, as I like them in general, but of course need decent support and comfort. Will report back with any new findings soon.

Ken
Contributor
Contributor

Nitrous shorts are great

Post by Ken » Mon May 23, 2005 10:23 pm

I bought a pair from kitewindsurf in alameda with the bar pad, and they are great. Much better than the waist harness's that I've used. I would not use anything else.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue May 24, 2005 6:14 am

Ollie,
I'm the same size as you and that's exactly what I did. I torque the leg straps down as far as they go,and it's tight enough, but just barely. I wish I had gotten the Small...

Maybe when I'm getting big air like you were getting Sunday, they'll be painful for me, too...

Paul

Scanman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Scanman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:57 pm

Just got the Nitrous shorts and powerclip pad (10", M) for Christmas. I already have the 10" hammerhead spreader. I just couldn't figure out how to hook up the pad with the bar. Can anyone help me with some guidance or pictures?

Thanks,
Joe

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 pm

When I first got mine I was hooking the harness right to the spreader bar but this was wrong and made the bar sit high on the pad. You have to use a screwdriver to push/wedge the metal clips on the spreader bar pad through the spreader bar ends. It takes some finagling but you'll eventually get the pad to sit flush against the bar. From there, hook one of the metal clips from the bar pad to the harness clip and take the screw/spacer set that's in the knife pocket and screw it in the clip on your preferred side. 8)

Pablito, you need the ghetto booty conversion kit and some beans and rice to hold your shorts up. There aint enough fat in that organic produce.

Scanman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Scanman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:12 pm

Aaah, ok. I briefly tried to push the ring through, guess I'll have to push harder and try using a screwdriver. Thanks Karl.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:51 pm

Karl,
You're starting to sound like Dewey.

I got the Nitrous because I don't have a "seat" for a "seat harness".
Paul