Any comments on LF Drop (LTD) for Bay Area conditions?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon May 23, 2005 5:10 pm

Currently paying dues at Alameda, and would eventually like to make it out to the other east bay spots, Sherman, and the coast.

6'1", 170lbs, is the 138 the right choice?

Thanks,
Josh

wilzone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wilzone » Mon May 30, 2005 7:59 am

I have the Drop 138 Ltd up here in the Gorge. Smoothest board through chop I've ever ridden, the footbeds and straps clearly the best. Upwind rocket as well. I've not ridden a lot of boards, but of the few I have, this one is by far the best. I know the Bay from the ws days, I would for sure recommend this board based on what I remember of the chop.
I'm about your size (a little lighter and shorter), the board is on the large side for me at 165 lbs, but I've never found it to be too big or any kind of problem. Not the lightest board on the planet, but I think that helps the ride. I wish I had this board this winter in Baja, would have done wonders for my knees.

w

Scotty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

LF Drop (ltd)

Post by Scotty » Mon May 30, 2005 8:11 am

I have a buddy who uses the Drop LTD out in St. Sebastian FL. He uses it a lot in the surf and chop and loves it. Great thing about this board is it comes complete with foot straps and handle.

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Mon May 30, 2005 10:01 am

I just got the Drop LTD 132cm about a month ago. Same comments as above.... awesome board for chop and blasting upwind. Just a really nice riding board.... Super comfortable. I'm a 180lbs and ride inland lakes with a 16m with no problem in 12-18mph winds.

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Mon May 30, 2005 10:48 am

Josh,

I never ridden either board, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, (I'm just going off my general knowledge of boards).

Based on your size I'd go for the 132 instead of the 138. 138 is on the big side of boards and unless you want to ride in light winds, you will be much happier on the smaller board. 132 is not considered a small board. I weight about 190 lbs and ride a 130 x 40 and can use it anywhere from 13 mph - 35 mph. Smaller boards are just more fun.

Good luck!

Al

wilzone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wilzone » Mon May 30, 2005 11:02 am

Big Al might be right. I got the 138 because I rode a Caution Redline 142 in Baja that I liked a LOT more than the 130 I brought down there. Width matters -- after riding the 138 I think for sure I could have gone with the 132, but no matter, the big board still works for me at this stage of the game.

w