adventures of a noob

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Scanman
Contributor
Contributor
adventures of a noob

Post by Scanman » Mon May 23, 2005 11:46 am

Just wanted to share my kiting adventure weekend.
Friday:
Snuck out of work early to take my land lesson at Alameda with Peter at Kite Windsurf. Learned on a 5m Diesel with a Cabrinha bar and 10 meter lines. Since Iíve been flying my trainer for a few months now, I was able to fly the kite pretty well. I just had to get use to controlling the power of a bigger kite. It was a bit scary when it got gusty, but I didnít crash it. =) Got some training of the Cabrinha safety system and I was ready to get on the water!
Saturday:
Since my water lesson wasnít till Sunday, I was itching to fly my kite. I busted out my mountain board and trainer (Airush 3.0) and went to the local soccer field. Had a blast cruising around and getting the hang of flying the kite while moving.
Sunday:
I was anxious all day waiting to get on with my lesson. At 4pm, the winds were blowing nicely and I suited up and was ready to go. Scott took me out on a jet ski to the middle of the bay, set up the kite, handed me the bar and said ìjump out.î As he was helping me launching the kite, I got a little nervous with the swells all around and ìboom,î it was up in the air dragging me around a bit. I spit out a few mouthfuls of water and tried to relax a little while I was spinning around under the kite. I practiced some upwind body dragging and couple of power dives for about 20 minutes. Then Scott tosses me the board and says, ìyouíre ready.î I strapped on the board, squared up, and dove the kite down. I guess I was a little afraid of getting to much power so I didnít get up right away. After a few tries I felt more comfortable. With a more aggressive stroke, I was up and riding! I was able to get a good 10-15 second ride and the feeling was amazing! Now I know why itís so addicting.

Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all the tips and stories, it really helped me out. Iím so glad I flew my trainer a lot before the lessons, that was definitely the key to success out on the water.

I especially want to thank Emily, Jeff, Peter, & Scott at Kite Windsurf for hooking me up and getting me hooked for life!

See you all out on the water soon!

Joe

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon May 23, 2005 6:35 pm

Joe,

Sounds like you're a fast learner! They run a darn good instruction program there at KWS, so you were in good hands and maybe that gave you an edge also.

Remember - time, work, family and wind allowing, try to get out as much as you can to progress your skills. Time on the water is very important at your stage. Sounds like you got the bug already though. O:)

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue May 24, 2005 7:10 am

joe,
You think getting on the board in addicting. Wait till you boost some air. Talk about grinning ear to ear. Get some more time in learning to stay upwind then give it a go.

Blair

Scanman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Scanman » Tue May 24, 2005 9:44 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I've been having a tough time sleeping at because I have visions of kites in my head all the time. My fiancee thinks I'm insane. She says she doesn't want to be a "Kite Widow." =) Am I ok, or do I need to join Kiters Anonymous?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue May 24, 2005 10:02 am

Scanman wrote: She says she doesn't want to be a "Kite Widow." =)
Admit it, she already is!

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue May 24, 2005 3:55 pm

sounds like she is due for some lessons. :)

Blair

Scanman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Scanman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:20 pm

Got on my board on Saturday, had a great time going downwind. A little underpowered but at least I got to ride some before the wind totally died.
Thanks to Mike from the UK for helping me out again! I had a big ass smile on my face walking all the way back to the shack.
Won't get a chance to go out for the next two weekends, I'm gonna be itchin'!

mike_s
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mike_s » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:02 am

glad you got up on the board! Nothing wrong with going downwind on saturday....we all were.....wind dropped off in no time at all (unlike Sunday!!!!).

2 weekends......that'd kill me!!!!!!!!

Mike