Must have sizes for bay area

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Must have sizes for bay area

Post by panzerfaust » Sat May 07, 2005 2:44 pm

I'm going for the windwing buy one get one .5 off deal and I'd like some input on what are the two must have sizes for the bay area. I'm also not exactly sure if I should get two Rages2 since I'm a beginner or should I go with the rapture or outrage and learn further on that. I'm 5'9 at 150lbs.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sat May 07, 2005 2:49 pm

Another question, what would be the justification for buying any of the Cabrinha kites that cost twice as much and are pretty much made out of the same fabric? (well, besides the fact that it has a big C printed on the canopy)

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sat May 07, 2005 2:58 pm

panzerfaust wrote:Another question, what would be the justification for buying any of the Cabrinha kites that cost twice as much and are pretty much made out of the same fabric? (well, besides the fact that it has a big C printed on the canopy)
None really. The windwings are great looking well built kites. They just have a direct marketing approuch to cut on cost. They are not cheap kites just because they cost less. I would also talk to Jeff though at kitewindsurf in Alameda because he may be able to beat out windwings prices. I personnaly ride Naish but wish they went to the same direct marketing but I like what I ride and have always been happy with Naish. I also keep my kites a bit longer then one season so I break even in the long run. You can't really go wrong anymore on new kites.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sat May 07, 2005 3:06 pm

pipedragon wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:Another question, what would be the justification for buying any of the Cabrinha kites that cost twice as much and are pretty much made out of the same fabric? (well, besides the fact that it has a big C printed on the canopy)
None really. The windwings are great looking well built kites. They just have a direct marketing approuch to cut on cost. They are not cheap kites just because they cost less. I would also talk to Jeff though at kitewindsurf in Alameda because he may be able to beat out windwings prices. I personnaly ride Naish but wish they went to the same direct marketing but I like what I ride and have always been happy with Naish. I also keep my kites a bit longer then one season so I break even in the long run. You can't really go wrong anymore on new kites.
Thanks for the response, I'll call Jeff right now.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat May 07, 2005 5:48 pm

If you do go with the WW kites, 12m and 16m rage2 would be my advise. Jeff's a good guy and will help you out either way you go.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat May 07, 2005 6:35 pm

In my opinion, the Rage II's perform better, turn faster, have more depower and range and won't be outgrown as soon as the Cabrinha Element which is the entry-level kite that is available locally. The Rage II can also be flown in any one of three configurations, using the SAFE bridles, the JumpStart relaunch bridles, or fixed-line mode, making it pretty versatile. Just my two cents, and I haven't flown any of the new Elements, just based on the description of it from the Cab site.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sat May 07, 2005 8:44 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:In my opinion, the Rage II's perform better, turn faster, have more depower and range and won't be outgrown as soon as the Cabrinha Element which is the entry-level kite that is available locally. The Rage II can also be flown in any one of three configurations, using the SAFE bridles, the JumpStart relaunch bridles, or fixed-line mode, making it pretty versatile. Just my two cents, and I haven't flown any of the new Elements, just based on the description of it from the Cab site.
Hey guys, thanks so much for the input.

What do you mean that Rage2s turn faster? (I mean, compared to what?)
My whole dillema is that I want to buy kites that will allow me to progress. Also, I'm the kind of person that doesn't need new gear everytime the new flashy thing comes out. I'm planning to keep the kites for a couple of years.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat May 07, 2005 8:55 pm

panzerfaust wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:In my opinion, the Rage II's perform better, turn faster, have more depower and range and won't be outgrown as soon as the Cabrinha Element which is the entry-level kite that is available locally. The Rage II can also be flown in any one of three configurations, using the SAFE bridles, the JumpStart relaunch bridles, or fixed-line mode, making it pretty versatile. Just my two cents, and I haven't flown any of the new Elements, just based on the description of it from the Cab site.
Hey guys, thanks so much for the input.

What do you mean that Rage2s turn faster? (I mean, compared to what?)
My whole dillema is that I want to buy kites that will allow me to progress. Also, I'm the kind of person that doesn't need new gear everytime the new flashy thing comes out. I'm planning to keep the kites for a couple of years.
I was just saying that in my opinion, as a mid-aspect kite, the Rage II's turn faster than the Cab Element, a locally available (KWS) entry-level kite that may come in at a comparable price-point as the WW, and that the RII wouldn't be a kite that would be outgrown anytime soon as your skills progress.

Ollie

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Sat May 07, 2005 9:47 pm

If you're wondering if you'll outgrow the Rage IIs, search back a month or so on this forum and check out the pics of Ollie jumping his.

If I'm doing that next year on my Rage II, I'll be pretty psyched. (Started kiting last fall...)

Paul

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sun May 08, 2005 7:54 am

funny thing is when it gets good and windy
olli rigs up a rageII,sometimes...
so i dont think you can outgrow it.
charlie