Flash Austin & WW Crew at Berkeley for Tuesday

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:49 am

ya i came in though a big hole right at the put in
flash looped his kite in, for a long way to get back in
charlie

Don
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Don » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:10 pm

Yes, without knowing it, Flash schooled me in the ways of getting downwind faster in sketchy light conditions :)

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Tue May 03, 2005 12:19 pm

Hey guys, I see you all talking about the rapture. Is Bay area the windwing homespot or something :? ?? I'm from holland and I'm thinking about getting myself a rapture 12 or 9 m. Now I'm an intermediate. Just starting to try out some jumps. Is the rapture a suitable kite for me or should I go for a rageII??

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue May 03, 2005 7:47 pm

Chucky wrote:Hey guys, I see you all talking about the rapture. Is Bay area the windwing homespot or something :? ?? I'm from holland and I'm thinking about getting myself a rapture 12 or 9 m. Now I'm an intermediate. Just starting to try out some jumps. Is the rapture a suitable kite for me or should I go for a rageII??
No, Windwing is based out of Hood River, Oregon, but there's some riders here in the area on the new Windwing kites and everyone seems to like them so far. Also, legendary Flash Austin and some of the Windwing crew were just here visiting.

You can't go wrong with with either of them. The Rage II is the all-around smooth, predictable of the bunch and the Rapture is getting good reviews also. I'm still waiting for my 12 Rapture, but have flown the 15 a couple of times and like it. Check out the full info on the kites here.

Windwing hometown

Post by Guest » Tue May 03, 2005 8:20 pm

Yes, this used to be Windwing's stomping grounds. In fact they had a large part of the Bay's windsurfing market, operating out of their Berkeley loft for many years. So you can say this place is where their "roots" are.

Bill Hansen/Windwing built fast, bomber "Pole boarding" sails that were/are highly regarded by the bay's sailors/racers.

With him designing stunt kites, way before kitesurfing, it just seemed a natural progression that this new sport would pique his interest.

Seems like he has a great product so far. =D>

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue May 03, 2005 8:29 pm

Yes, true. I thought perhaps he meant is this where they are based.

Chucky, wherabouts in Holland do you kite? Although I've never kited there, I'd like to as my family is from holland and I occasionally visit and have one Aunt in Haarlem and one in Krommenie. I imagine Zandvoort would be the closest to Haarlem?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed May 04, 2005 5:53 pm

Roots.
Ask Bard. He'll tell you.
Go bigga'