How was the St.FYC party? The race was fun!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
How was the St.FYC party? The race was fun!

Post by OliverG » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:18 am

I left early at about 8pm or so as everyone was heading upstairs to check out the video. How was it?

The Course Racing was fun and challenging given the flood tide and light wind on the inside which is where about half of the racing took place. At times it seemed like a free for all, but overall, I think it was a fun event for all!

Ollie

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:37 am

Yup, we were witnessing history in the making. We all agreed at the after-party that there would be more "objective" kite contests in the future (course-racing, speed trials, etc.) Very cool! I asked Simone Vannucci (RRD kite designer and international rider) if he'd ever seen anything like it and he said "no, it's a first I believe".

With the yachting history and the course-racing tradition in windsurfing on the Bay it stands to reason that the kiters here would get this new discipline started. Fun to watch, less than ideal wind, flood tide and some exciting moments at the marks. Hey kiters, ever heard the word "starboard"?

Windsport veterans may recall that SF was formerly a stop on the windsurfing World Cup and now, who knows, maybe a kite venue too. I think kiter-cross would be interesting to try as well.

Anyway, the party was fun, Simone gave a tutorial on the new kites and his opinions of what we will see in the future equipment-wise. There were lots of stoked ZH riders (first heat winner was riding a ZH-16 I believe) and mucho buzz about the Type-Wave kites. Simone summarized the divergent technology and designs into three main areas: wave-riding, freestyle/jumping and freestyle/wakestyle/tricks. He also firmly endorses the light-wind/surfboard combination. Didn't seem too stoked on snow, but others in attendance were pretty excited about it. (Then again, European peaks versus the Northern Heartland of America are vastly different in terms of terrain, so the potential is here in NA!)

Thanks to Chip from UltraNectar and Brad & Simone from RRD for the hangover!

:drinkers:
Go bigga'

EuroSnokiter

Potential???

Post by EuroSnokiter » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:14 am

(Then again, European peaks versus the Northern Heartland of America are vastly different in terms of terrain, so the potential is here in NA!)

I think you should take a trip to Europe before assuming that the potential for Snowkiting is here (North America)!!!
Go check out Le col du Lautaret in the French Alpes and go see for yourself if there is some potential (still the only snowkiting spot I have seen with over Fifty Kites in the Air ,Not that it was really fun at that time!!!)
I also think that Terrain wise Europe has lot to offer considering all those older eroded moutain ranges that offers lots of elevated tree-less plateau but also more challenging uphill riding and cliff jumping terrain in the Alpes or The Pyrhennees!!
I would have to say that North America gets more snow than Europe and I think I don`t take too much risk saying that. In addition it is also hard to beat Utah`s Champagne- for comparaison our snow is closer to the Sierra`s Ciment !!!

I think it has more to do with the fact that RRD is not really involved in the European snowkiting scene(nothing wrong with that either!!!)
They might sponsors some ridders but it is definetly not one of the leading companies in that scene. Matter of fact I have never seen so many RRD kites anywhere else in the world but in The Bay Area ( not even Italy!!!) They must be good kites !!!
Don`t forget too that Simone lives on Kauai so he probably hasn`t too many chances too explore the real potential of his kites on the snow
I am not trying to say that Europe is better than NA in anyway(I have lived 20 years in Europe and 10 in NA so I am passed that!!!) but I am trying to inform you about the real potential of Snowkiting in Europe and that the level of ridding is unreal!!!

ps: If you have the chance, check Guillaume Chastagnol out(Chasta!),he is the best snowkiter(on a snowboard) in the world (by far!!!).He took to the next level: watch him tripple kite-loop of a clif (there is a link somewhere in this forum!!!)

May the force be with you

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:01 pm

Okay.
Go bigga'

icemonkey

Montana snow kiting

Post by icemonkey » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:44 pm

You guys should come up to Montana to try the snow action...we are having a free ride event in December at Georgetown Lake near Anaconda. Also, we will run the third annual snow kiter cross, and some other races aimed at giving our intermediate riders an event. Last year's Snowkite rodeo bboasted 65 riders, and at one point we counted 43 kites in the air! Again, we also had Chip to thank for the hangovers! Also, check out Skyline in Utah...sick terrain and great snow!

Keith montanakitesports.com