Who skimboards?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:17 pm

At least four skims out at Rio today. they rip in the flat, but then there is Kafka in the waves.....

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Sun May 01, 2005 1:12 pm

so what's the consensus on the cabal vs. the windwing skimboards? I'm thinking of getting one but don't have the resources to try out either...

while we're on it.. does anybody know where i can try one out?

thanks,
Brian.

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Sun May 01, 2005 1:16 pm

and to verify, i don't want it for fun in the waves, i'm solely looking to explore a lightwind option that's more exciting than my current lightwind boat board and elephant kite combo.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun May 01, 2005 4:08 pm

kitebored wrote:so what's the consensus on the cabal vs. the windwing skimboards? I'm thinking of getting one but don't have the resources to try out either...

while we're on it.. does anybody know where i can try one out?

thanks,
Brian.
Brian, I have one of the WW skims you can try out, PM me and we'll see if we can hook something up.

Ollie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun May 01, 2005 5:48 pm

Ollie how do you like it?? Does it have holes for fins?? Flash had fins on his, and he told me that's the best setup for them. What's your view??
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon May 02, 2005 7:08 am

dewey wrote:Ollie how do you like it?? Does it have holes for fins?? Flash had fins on his, and he told me that's the best setup for them. What's your view??
To be honest, I haven't really had a chance to ride it yet, so I can't comment on it yet. Gabe rode it and remarked that the Cabal he had was a bit bigger so might offer a slightly better upwind advantage, but when he tried it, it was pretty light overall, so not quite sure if any comparison could be made.

I have a couple of 1.5" fins that I may consider adding at some point if it seems like it would benefit from it...

Post by Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi All,

I ride a cabal SX52. It is 52 inches long though, not 152 cm, about 132 cm.

The feeling riding bare is great, I tried it with a 17m kite, 12m and 9m. I was staying upwind with the 9m kite in about 12 knots of wind, no kidding. I haven't spent much time on it at all but decided to add fins and footstraps, and I am still experimenting with their size and placement.

I decided as my light wind weapon, the board was limited without straps and fins. whenever I got up to speed, the board would want to slip out, if not edging enough. While edging hard with power, the board held but was relatively slow moving so I wanted to improve this. This board will always be slow compared to a regular board due to the large drag area. Doesn't matter, it does for me exactly what I want. The fins make this thing unslippable, and I do like the straps too. We get choppy conditions here even in light wind, and I just couldn't get to the speed I wanted without chop throwing my front foot off (could just be clutzy me though). Now I can ride the fins more and get a flatter ride. The board is surprisingly smooth riding up or down chop. It never slaps which surpurprises me for a flat rocker. I went for 3" fins (Rainbow surfdog - beautiful fins), but will now try probably 1-1/2" for less drag. Even in 8 knots of wind this thing begs to go upwind. To me this is a 7 to 14 knot board. Maybe I will come to like it in heavier wind too. i can also use it as a skimboard or go back to bare riding - versatile. Oh and it is easy peasy gybing the board. I was out in 8-13 knots with a 17m kite and can now easily jump with the board. The board is exactly 3 kg (6.5 lbs) decked out which is damn light.

I went with two front straps angled off, but have abondoned that for one centrally placed footsrap since the board spray was hitting my leg in that position. Straps area placed about 19" apart well biased to the rear. I will try to post photos when I get a chance. I used snowboard binding inserts and reinforced under them with ABS pieces.

I can decrease my quiver now, so if anyone is looking for 17m kite, let me know !!

Mattdog
Joey
Joey

Post by Mattdog » Wed May 04, 2005 8:12 pm

That Guest was me, new member today ... :twisted:

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed May 04, 2005 9:06 pm

Mattdog wrote:That Guest was me, new member today ... :twisted:
Another from Canada! Welcome!

Post by Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 1:10 pm

Oh man you put straps on it... booooo. :( having no straps makes it easy to move your feet around and give you a HUGE wind range. And it makes board offs easier. and it's just the whole point of the skim. With the skim and a 13m and 9m kite you have a HUGE range. These boards are sweet. Just got ride of all but one strapped kite board for when I feel like riding something other than the skim. :)

J