Who skimboards?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Who skimboards?

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:28 am

Who has some experience skimboarding? Gabe, I know you do and were ripping on a day when we couldn't hardly do anything. This looks like a fun style of riding for light wind days, flat water, surf and just to try something different.

Incidentally, the reason I ask is because I think I'm going to pick one up as Windwing just came out with a new Flash Pro 146 Skimboard which looks nice and reasonably priced at $199. You can check out the hype on it here, and can be ordered here.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the hang of it, but at least it's bright yellow for easy spotting. What kind of tricks can one do on a skimboard? With no fins and no straps, no doubt it will require some getting used to....

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:28 am

Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:36 am

Is there anything special about the windwing skimboard or would any skimboard do the trick. I was thinking of getting a skimboard from sportmart and trying it out but the windwing is about the same price.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:51 am

pipedragon wrote:Is there anything special about the windwing skimboard or would any skimboard do the trick. I was thinking of getting a skimboard from sportmart and trying it out but the windwing is about the same price.
I have not tried the WindWing SKimboard but would like to for comparison sake.

I know that the Cabal for around the same price is shaped and constructed for Kiteboarding. A regular Skimboard is designed to skim on top of very little water using the glide and momentum created by someone running full spead. The Cabal and likely the WIndWing are designed to plain up and ride with the resistence of the water created by someone being pulled by a kite...much different dynamics. I would say a skimboard designed for kiting would work for skimboarding, however, I would not say that the opposite is necessarily true.

Pipe - I know you love thhat 25m V4 but with s Skimboard the biggest kite I use is a 13m now and used to be a 15m. I can ride when anyone on any size kite can ride and I would venture to say that I am having more fun.
Gabe Brown

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:36 pm

yup he can blow the doors off tt guys
i saw him and ollie go out at berkely one light day ,ollie could just keep up wind and gabe was off at hisloardships ripping ,i think with the 13m.
very inpressive.i was stuck on the beach watching.
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:46 pm

Gabe, I'm hoping to get mine by the end of the week. Maybe we'll hook up soon and you can give the WW skim a spin and check out the design. I'm looking forward to checking one out. I just hope I can ride the thing, I'm sure it will take some getting used to, but the appeal of it is pretty cool, as I hoping the keep a 15m as my biggest kite this season.

If it works for Flash, it works for me!

Ollie

Btw, I'm hoping and chances are good Flash will come down this summer and hit some of the local spots and and do some photo shoots on the Coast, Bay and Delta. If it works out for his schedule that would be sweet as I've heard nothing but good things about him and would be stoked to ride with him during his visit.

consumerr

Post by consumerr » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:27 pm

dude im also thinking about getting a skimboard for lightwind potential, but would like to be able to waveride on it as well, Would you then suggest the Windwing?

somehow the shape of the cabal looks more pleasing though.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:20 pm

consumerr wrote:dude im also thinking about getting a skimboard for lightwind potential, but would like to be able to waveride on it as well, Would you then suggest the Windwing?

The Windwing skimboard is all about waves, but as a skimboard exploits light wind potential also. Flash Austin loves the waves and he learned on a skimboard. This board opens up new possibilities for kiting. Their info describes it as "Surf-style pintail, very floaty, hard rail, fast & stable".

I should get mine tomorrow! O:)

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:36 am

consumerr wrote:dude im also thinking about getting a skimboard for lightwind potential, but would like to be able to waveride on it as well, Would you then suggest the Windwing?

I'll be around all next week.

We should get together and all try both of the skims. I know my Cabal rides great in the surf. I am yet to take it into anything over chest high but I know the Oahu boys are taking well overhead surf on them. The new Cabal Fire with the rounded pin should be able to go into some pretty sixeable surf.
Gabe Brown

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:17 pm

Skimkiters:

A few of us from WW including Flash will be coming to Caly for the Pismo show, and hope to stop by the Bay Area on the return trip home for a session or two (maybe three). We will have a few skimboards, and will have one with fins that might be interesting for some of you to try.

These skims are bomber built, divinycell core with glass wrap and gel coat finish. Light and strong.

See ya,
JB