RRD ZH kites deliver!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Don
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Don » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:04 pm

Indeed. Having particpated in the demo, one would have expected the force generated by multiple consecutive kite-loops would have caused this rookie pilot to either skid, drag, hop, or at least uncontrollably step downwind from the point of "entry", but, delightfully, that wasn't the case. So yes, at least the 12M Type Wave Kite/Bar combo has more than ample range for practicing kiteloops, not only on dry land in ~10kts, but even possibly on water. :mrgreen: Kudos to Simone for a great design...

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:19 pm

I think the type wave is the fastest turning kite I've ever seen. It also has the softest pull.
Dewey

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:52 pm

Hey Guys,
I am glad to hear that you are happy with the Type Wave and Type ZH.
We are delighted to see that these kites are getting such a great success.

Simone was stoked seeing RRD kites in every Bay Area and ocean location he visited last week, and even more when the people he spoke to were super happy with their kites performance.

Drop me a line if you want to check the RRD kites in person. They have brought our kiting enjoyment to a new level this year!

Evan - Live2KITE
www.live2kite.com
(415) 722-7884
Live2KITE: The largest RRD shop!

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:05 am

Hey all, I¥m from Australia but I heard about Simone¥s trip over there. Sounds like a great place, and nice to hear that your all stoked on the new RRD kites. I¥ve never seen a kite that can get going in such a small amount of wind, and still be rideable when it picks up an extra 20 knots!! And I know what you mean about that depower, we had the same thing over here with a little bloke doing kiteloops on a 12 without taking a step. It had everyone over here amazed.
I¥ve been thinking, has anyone tried looping the kite with the bar sheeted out, then pulling the bar in halfway through the kiteloop? Just trying to put a few ideaś in your heads. See ya!!

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Type Wave 12m - WOW!

Post by liv2kitesurf » Wed May 11, 2005 6:57 am

Just got out of the water (ocean) from my second session with the RRD Type Wave 12m and I have to say I am STOKED and grinning ear to ear. (Didn't appreciate it as much after my first flat-water session on the kite... takes a session or tow to dial it in I think). I had one of my best sessions (I say that a lot these days :) ). I have never had the feeling that a new kite I was using for the first time was so different and made such a huge difference =D> WOW. The Type Wave is an incredibly fast turned (but very manageable for me with the shorter 19" bar length). The depower range is phenomenal. I was kiting in to the beach closer that I ever did before ... because I felt so much more confident about my ability to depower right where and when I wanted (and not land on the beach inadvertantly). Perfect power control on the face. Anyway, I am STOKED on this kite and recommend it. One wierd thing is that there is no sheeting strap (I don't think it would have been incompatible with the 5th line/pulley mechanism) ... but the depower is huge even without it. Also, the span line keeps the kite in a flying shape all the time, which may make self-launching much harder (I am still scared to try it.) I really wanted to try a kite with an "active" 5th line (as my other kites are all North 5th element kites) and I have to say the Type Wave is on fire.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Wed May 11, 2005 7:32 am

This is great news, and consistent with what we hear from everyone who gets on these kites.
If you want to try the Type Wave or Type ZH kites let us know so we can set up a quick demo!
Thx RRD,
Evan - Live2KITE

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Thu May 12, 2005 2:24 pm

i self launched the 10 type wave at HMB. It is a bit sketch...dumped a ton of sand on the wing tip to keep is locked down, but then it was hard to get the edge of the wing to flip over due to the wide tips and battens.

launched fine after a bit, and self landing was easy with the fifth line. really nice kites. Also have had some time on the 13 zh, and I gotta say I love that kite as well...

bob

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu May 12, 2005 5:57 pm

Kewl, people seem to be happy with these from all accounts. :)

Interested One

Post by Interested One » Thu May 12, 2005 9:42 pm

Say Jeff + Bob,

Compare the wave type to the ZH kite. Jeff, how much power and low end does the 12 wave have compared to the ZH? does it have enough juice to get you over big white water? Would you ever use the wave off for freestyle??

Later, Z.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu May 12, 2005 10:59 pm

Regarding the Type Wave for freestyle, Chip has been riding his 10m and 12m quite a bit and pulling off nice freestyle moves as usual, but he could do that on anything really.... The Type Wave shows much benefit in some of his current moves involving looping, but if you're looking for big air freestyle, by virtue of its design, it's not particularly noteworthy in that regard and doesn't appear to be an especially powerful kite, but it's not meant to be. But for freestyle in general, unless you're Wasson or Kafka, the ZH might be a better choice, unless you want to rig a size up, but that would negate the whole premise of the Wave, right? I know you didn't ask me, but just my thoughts on the RRD line.

Ollie