New speed record

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
New speed record

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:19 pm

66+ MPH on snow.
That is the fastest speed recorded as far as I know.
Kite is a prototype of the next flysurfer, called Speed (continuing with the drug names theme :wink:). Ultra high aspect ratio built for racing (buggies I understand) but also water relanchable. Looks like it has all the standard flysurfer high tech bells and whistels (and not-so-good looks :( ).
Take a look at the video. In the beginning you can see the guy accelerating for a speed run. The acceleration is simply amazing, considering that in these few seconds the guy ends at over 50 MPH. That may be camera angles, but still impressive. Other than that there is nothing really interesting in the video, jumps and the regular stuff, no kite loops or handle passes (or kite loops with handle passes :) ).

Initial reports of this kite is that it is plain scary to fly.

Link to movie of Speed

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:56 pm

The SPEED is not a kite loop handle pass kite. It was designed for speed. Despite what you may have heard, I found it to be fairly easy to fly with lots of power and range. Anybody I saw try it had no problems and came back with a big smile. It generates tons of managable power as soon as you get some board speed.

Especially for the guy who likes to cruise, I think this kite will become a favorite for more than just racers.

Jumping seems good with more hang time than I have experienced before, but because of the hard ground did not want to send it too hard.

If you get a chance to try one, you will see what I mean and what is possible with the latest R & D

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:56 pm

Scary in the sense that in strong wind it generates enormous pull, that gets stronger with apparent wind as you start moving. What I read is that the pull of the kite is disproportional to its size, IE pulls much more than you expect. Can still be easy to manage it terms of handling, these are not mutually exclusive. Getting scared once in a while will put a big smile on most kiters I know, if the results are not painful :) I would love to try it instead of reading about it, but flysurfers are not something you just buy, I can get at least two descent inflatables for the price of one FS.

They should however get graphics that match the other qualities of their kites. Looks is still an area that LEIs have a clear advantage on FS. :(

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:42 pm

I have never seen :drinkers: zees "Flysurfer".
Go bigga'