Alameda launch guidelines -- hooked or unhooked?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
mishka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mishka » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:03 pm

I like to launch unhooked because I am scared. I usually launch unhooked with someone holding me down for dear life. I actually have great kite control
but the thought of being dragged on land horrifies me. Maybe if I were
bigger it wouldn't seem so scary.

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:43 pm

mishka i know a greatly efficient chocolate cake and beer diet that can get rid of your fear pretty quick.

,haha.

the only way to lauch

Post by guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:35 pm

so really this is the right way, if not the only way, to launch at alameda I swear: first you must give props to whatever wind diety you worship in whatever fashion or pagan ritual you have designed and ask for safe passage back to shore... me I burn little green flowers in a sacrificial fire the night before kiting. but thats just me. (never before or during kiting but the night before!) then you lay out your kite and bar constantly wondering if you should've worn your boardshorts over or under your wetsuit while also pondering the health impact of swimming in these pristine and most tropical waters. then after all this is done I like to hang out like 10 or 20 minutes waiting until im really in other peoples way until actually asking for someones help to launch. after all this is done and this is the most important step instead of a thumbs up i instruct my launcher that Ill be using gang signs instead to signal release. being a third ave kind of guy my alameda sign is three fingers pointed west while i pound my chest with the fist of my other hand. sure its hard to hold the bar and fly the kite while doing all this but I swear this is THE right way. ya heard!!!

ps just kidding but this is my favorite thread year after year and I finally had to let my voice be heard. big ups!

oh yea

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:39 pm

o yea i forgot to add that i do that all hooked in-

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:14 pm

Yup, the gang sign is where it's at. You gots to show where Hello loyalty be, let 'em know you ai'nt playin.

For example, any of the folowing are acceptable for your homies who'is bouts to be givin' you the launch:

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:17 am

HHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA you guys are unreal.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:00 am

Oh man, I forgot to add these ones too:
Notice the "I Love My Blood" sign (as in Crips and Bloods), it bears a striking resemblance to the Hawaiian "Shaka". You peep 'dat?!

Then finally, last but not least, the honkey throwing signs prepping hisself fo' Alameda. "Hey, ho, hey, ho, can I get launch? What, What?" Stone cold crazy.

z4kiter

Post by z4kiter » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:45 pm

Hilarious!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:46 pm

That west side blood 5 point star looks like the "want to do it?" signal!!!
Dewey

bageler
Joey
Joey

Post by bageler » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:55 am

mishka wrote:I like to launch unhooked because I am scared. I usually launch unhooked with someone holding me down for dear life. I actually have great kite control
but the thought of being dragged on land horrifies me. Maybe if I were
bigger it wouldn't seem so scary.
I spent years scudding and land jumping before getting in the water. Just dig your heels in and drag!