You CAN kite in Berkeley...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fearlu
Resident
Resident
You CAN kite in Berkeley...

Post by fearlu » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:19 am

After several attempts to kite at Punta Emerito (to no avail) I finally caught a session there. Instead of just rigging and launching 100 feet upwind of commute traffic on I-80 only to return to Last Chance Beach, I actually made my way to His Lordships. Then, the wind promptly backed off, of course. It was windy enough to jump, however, confirming the rumor that Berkeley is actually [glow=red]FUN[/glow]. Good to see [font=Comic Sans MS]you[/font] and [font=Verdana]you[/font] and [font=Courier New]you[/font] and [font=Tahoma]you[/font]....

( =D> Beat that shit, C, fancy poster!)
Go bigga'

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:57 am

Berkeley is all about timing and a little bit of luck. If you arrive and it has been blowing for a few hours and it is late in the day good luck. Berkeley is notorious for sutting off and way off. Get upwind as far as possible. There does seem to be more wind the further out you get. Also you will have an easier time getting back to the launch. Berkeley can be one of the greatest kiting experiences or the worst!! :|

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:09 pm

and all in the same session!
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: You CAN kite in Berkeley...

Post by OliverG » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:48 pm

fearlu wrote:After several attempts to kite at Punta Emerito (to no avail) I finally caught a session there. Instead of just rigging and launching 100 feet upwind of commute traffic on I-80 only to return to Last Chance Beach, I actually made my way to His Lordships. Then, the wind promptly backed off, of course. It was windy enough to jump, however, confirming the rumor that Berkeley is actually [glow=red]FUN[/glow]. Good to see [font=Comic Sans MS]you[/font] and [font=Verdana]you[/font] and [font=Courier New]you[/font] and [font=Tahoma]you[/font]....

( =D> Beat that shit, C, fancy poster!)
Dave, look at you! Nice [highlight=green]work[/highlight] on the text options. Berkeley requires dedicated and aggressive upwind attitude and a master plan. One does develop a sense for how it's going to be by studying the water, sensing the wind and sheer faith; some may call it foolishness. It doesn't always work, though.

It can be quite rewarding, but has also made many a grown man cry. Many is the time our fellow men, and women, have ended up dejected, angry and sad at the Frontage Road beach. Kites have been damaged on the rocks, bar and line sets turned into spaghetti and boards battered on the rocks by the tides. I've seen people show up and say, "No problem!" only to slink back to the parking lot with wet and muddy kites never to be seen again.

It's always a concern that a new face will arrive and commit serious acts of malfeasance, thus spoiling it for everyone. The main thing is to restrict all drama to you and your own. [-X Keep your gear away from:

1. The Bay Trail
2. Westshore Highway
3. Interstate 80

This public service announcement has been brought to you by Bay Area Kiteboarding. Have a nice day! O:)