What size kite for Alameda?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:58 am

Pablito,
I started my kiting on a trainer and a skateboard. Then moved to the mountain board and a 5M foil. When it got too windy for the mountain board, I've ridden a beater snowboard in the sand (sandboard).
The hard thing about mtn boards and ob is dealing with the tide. I can only ride when it is low tide. As you know there are two low tides each day. Some people buy the monster tires which are wider and can be used in softer sand. The buggies do better when it is not low tide. During certain months, it was hard for me to coordinate, wind (straight onshore is best), low tide, daylight, and my work schedule. That's why I started riding in the water.
I would guess 5 - 15 mph would be fun on a mtn board and your 10M fs (Basically when it is too light to ride in the surf). You basically just need enough wind for the kite to fly. With my 5M, I always had to wait for the wind to pick up even more because that kite is slow, tractor style. But your flysurfer should be able to generate enough pull to get you going with a power stroke. Just like on the water, point your board downwind to get going, then start leaning upwind once you have some momentum. Just like on the water, put the kite to zenith (or even slightly back) to slow down. Doing sliding stops/switching direction is fun on a mtn board. You can go really fast on a mtn board. So fast that you start getting speed wobble. If this happens, just like on any skateboard, weight your front foot to minimize the wobble. Be a good role model and wear a helmet.
-bric

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:26 am

Hi guys, I am on vacation now so canít help much. Just when I am gone wind is good in Alameda. Go figure.

If you get a mountain board, get a real one, not a toy one. You will be dragged by a 10m kite.

As for FS, a big advantage is that you can also pack them small. I took two FS kites with me oversees and packed them in less than it would take my 13 tube. Actually all my kite gear except board (4m wetsuit, two kites, helmet, harness, vest, shit load of stuff) fit in one suitecase.

Go to beach now.