Windwing Rage II and Outrage Impressions

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue May 31, 2005 7:16 am

I've used the outrages with the SAFE bridles and fixed line without any bridles. Using them with the bridles, I connect to the middle knot, and without them i connect the first (closest in) knot.

I haven't found them to be requiring lots of wind to be fun and effective, but they can take a lot of wind.

One thing that might help, which I'd recommend to all WW bar users is to pull back the foam covers from the back lines at the bar and go in a knot on the back lines. I found the rear lines to be a tad slack as the bar ships, and experience better performance with them adjusted.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue May 31, 2005 8:14 am

I was wondering about that... on my Rage II it seems like doing this will give me even more depower. Thanks for the tip, once again.

Paul

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue May 31, 2005 8:19 am

On the WW forum, they are recommending that people add an extra knot to the front lines (SAFE) above the highest knot. Is that their way of dealing with the same issue?

Bullroarer Took
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bullroarer Took » Tue May 31, 2005 1:33 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:I've used the outrages with the SAFE bridles and fixed line without any bridles. Using them with the bridles, I connect to the middle knot, and without them i connect the first (closest in) knot.

I haven't found them to be requiring lots of wind to be fun and effective, but they can take a lot of wind.

One thing that might help, which I'd recommend to all WW bar users is to pull back the foam covers from the back lines at the bar and go in a knot on the back lines. I found the rear lines to be a tad slack as the bar ships, and experience better performance with them adjusted.
Since I have '04s which only have the Jumpstart and the stock '04 bar we are talking a bit of Apples & Oranges. Let me ask it this way then: If you let the kite fly at 12:00 and have the bar at the stopper (all the way out), is there much slack at all in the rear lines?

I have been rigging on the middle knot of the back Jumpstart line and only use about 6 inches of de-power on my C-loop. (Which really isn't depower at all... I hate that name.) There is a little slack in the back lines, but it goes away when I pull the bar down. (I wish I could figure out a way to make this less subjective, but short of us hooking up, I can't think of one.)

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue May 31, 2005 4:48 pm

Bullroarer took,

How well does the jumpstart work on the Outrages?? I'm thinking of rigging my 12m and 8 with it.
Dewey

Post by Guest » Tue May 31, 2005 7:51 pm

Funny you should ask. Last season I was bullet proof with it - the kite just rolled over and took off. This year I'm having trouble. I have a hunch that I haven't been getting the LE as stiff as before, but I'm not sure, maybe I'm just holding the lines differently. Need a refresher course. ;)

gdorfman1
Joey
Joey

Post by gdorfman1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:21 am

Pablito(guest) wrote:I was wondering about that... on my Rage II it seems like doing this will give me even more depower. Thanks for the tip, once again.

Paul
no, he was saying to power the kite up by moving it a knot. i found the same thing--that on hardline the lines are too depowered stock--but i found this also depends on each kite. the safe bridles seemed better adjusted. the deal with the 17m rage 2 was the opposite, that it needed even more depower when it got windy. for bigger kites to get the same angle of attach change it requires more line length so this makes sense. i have found that the knots definitely do matter--you can't do it all at the bar across the full range.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:04 pm

Okay, I understand that. But with the B-SAFE Bar, at least, the chicken loop line is adjustable at the camcleat. The way I had to adjust mine to get the front lines tight at full power, I still have 3 inches of "extra" chicken loop (beyond the stopper). If I lengthen the back lines at the bar, can't I get more depower/chicken loop length while keeping my center lines tight? In essence, it would be like putting slightly longer back lines on.. I can still change the AOA by moving the front lines up and down the knots on the pigtails.

Some people have said that their arms aren't long enough to use the full length of the chicken loop, but I don't have that problem...