Beach eddicate

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Beach eddicate

Post by cliftoncutshall » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:24 am

3 kites approaching the beach.
Kite 1 farthest from the beach and down wind boxes in kite 2 by approaching too close to allow him to turn out.
Kite 2 is now down wind from kite 3 and forced in too close to allow him to turn.
Kite 3 turns anyway sending lines under and across kite 2 resulting in a wrap.
kite 1 turns out unscathed.
Who is at fault?

bumpy
Joey
Joey

Re: Beach eddicate

Post by bumpy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

Kiter 2 for not knowing how to downloop to go below Kiter 1. Partially kidding, but that can be a very handy technique for avoiding the situation altogether depending on the relative position of the kiters.

Ultimately, I would blame Kiter 3 because even if you are boxed in, you can't just dive your kite into another kiter. Worst case he could have stopped and waited if downloop wasn't an option. I'm guessing maybe he didn't look back before turning around? Or did he just say F it, I'm turning?

All that being said, it is not cool for Kiter 1 to pin everyone above them and drive them all the way to the beach. We should all try to give each other space when we know we are going to need to turn around.

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Beach eddicate

Post by cliftoncutshall » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks Bumpy, Just wanted to check my thinking which upon reading your post seems correct. I (kite 2) down loop more often than over head cause I like the power. Kite 1 was too close to run across his nose. A board collision would be worse than a line wrap. To his credit kite 3 did apologize but I was more upset with kite 1 for creating the cluster @#$%^%!