Sorry for the inconvenience at 3rd lower ramp yesterday

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
knyfe
Resident
Resident
Sorry for the inconvenience at 3rd lower ramp yesterday

Post by knyfe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 pm

What a busy day yesterday at 3rd. I brought in a kiter with kite as well as a board and dropped both of them at the ramp. Noone seemed to care - ok the guy could take care of himself.

Later I came in - also to the lower ramp - with a lonely kite I picked up in the channel after the CL was obviously broken. Beside all my jelling and at least 7 people in wetsuits there in the peanut gallery noone came in the water to take the kite the last 5 meters. Wow.

But even better was the windsurfing lady who shred in purposely 1 m right behind me - yelling at me that this was not my place to be. YES I have to agree and I am never there - except if I end up there helping a fellow kiter ( and would fur sure also do it for a windsurfer) to rescue the equipment from the middle of the bay. Really sorry for the inconvenience! Hard to realize that it was not my choice coming in with two kites at once - bar & lines dangling right behind me.

At the end the kite drifted all the way across the lower beach until someone with the jetski picked it up. thats what I wanted to avoid having the kite and especially lines drifting all over the field.

Please tell me out of the peanut gallery what I could have done better and please help if you see some opportunity to help. It could be your stuff the next time around.

CU, G - who was also a windsurfer before like the other 60%

- keep up the positive spirit of 3rd -

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Re: Sorry for the inconvenience at 3rd lower ramp yesterday

Post by Sonny » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:09 am

Good job brining in the kite but it's better to bring in the kite near the beach. Leaving the kite near the windsurfer launch will drift out. once it start drifting out, it will be difficult to swim after. The people in the peanut gallery were windsurfers and they are not that familiar with kite gear.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Sunny,

Thanks for the comment. I thought of it but didn’t want to risk getting sunk in the wind shadows with only one hand on the bar. But after that experience well worth trying ;-) the next time around.

G

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 am

No good deed goes unpunished. Saving a kite is worth getting yelled at by someone who doesn't understand the particular fix you're in at that moment. Maybe you could have done something better, but is rescuing a kite really something you're supposed to be good at?