Kite Surfer Dead Following Accident at Crown Beach Alameda

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
schwede
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Kite Surfer Dead Following Accident at Crown Beach Alameda

Post by schwede » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Hoping this isn't true? Anyone have any details?

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/P ... 59441.html

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Re: Kite Surfer Dead Following Accident at Crown Beach Alame

Post by CdoG » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:55 pm

I think it was a medical emergency
I think yuri pulled him ashore.
Last edited by CdoG on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Yuri swam him back to shore. Shelley and another kiter, (I forgot his name), were the first responders and applied CPR until the police and paramedics showed up. I'm one of the guys who assisted in recovering his gear, Mark helped figure out his identity, 73-year-old kite surfer Dr. Andres Caicedo of Concord.

It took a long time and a lot of effort from all the kiters that were present there and helped out trying to piece together his identity. He did not put any information (name, number, emergency contacts) on his gear. Alameda Police has access to his car and we surrendered all his equipment to them.

He was not overpowered, he was flying a 8 meter strutless Naish trip and a twin tip, which is a kite too small for the conditions in Alameda today (I was on my 17 meter Fuel).

Here is what we know so far. He parked his car at Crown Memorial State Park. Uneventful launch at the shack. He was wearing a helmet and a life jacket. Later, a few people noticed his kite was in the water. No one paid attention as there were a lot of beginners today with their kites down in the water,a typical beginner session at Alameda, light wind, so no cause for concern.

At some point Yuri realized something was wrong, so he checked on him and found him face down on the water. That's when Yuri started the rescue. Yuri ended up ditching his gear and swam him back to shore, ended up at Shell Gate.

Shelley and the other kiter performed CPR until the cops came. The rest of the crew on the beach helped as much as they can by figuring out his identity and recovering lost gear.

We don't know what happened, he was just found floating in the water, so until we hear the cause of death, it will just be speculation.

Rest in Peace.
Last edited by reyrivera on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:40 am

Very sorry....

Thank you Yuri and everyone that helped....

RIP
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 pm

A courtesy reminder to all. You never know what's going to happen when you go out riding. Please put information about yourself, any medical issues, write it on your board, vest, kite, so in case of emergency like this, first responders can act quickly and no time is wasted in trying to help you.

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:36 pm

I ordered this and have my name and emergency info on it. Wear it around my neck with a marine whistle. All under the wetsuit.

https://www.dogids.com/product/military-dog-id-tags/

Leo

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 pm

To my fellow kiters ; please remember to employ the buddy system when ever possible ..if you cannot find a fellow kiter.. then buy a ship to shore VHS radio Coast Guard Approved 1"x 3" ..the device can be purchased @ "West Marine" @ 2230 S Shore Ctr. here in Alameda.. the device is small and easy to attach to your body . please remember.. its up to you to look after yourself and other kiters .when you see a kite in the water with or without a kiter ..kite by making sure to stay upwind of the incident .. ask them if they need assistance ..if they want help and you do "NOT" know what to do.. then tell them you are on your way to get help but keep an eye on them ..I overlook the beach here in Alameda .. you can call me or my wife ..@ Max & Pam 510-814-1074 or e-mail me @ maxsteamer1@gmail.com ..one of us will assist you as a fellow kiter or we will alert Rebecta or Jane the two women who run the concession @ the beach shack ..if you are a beginner and it is 20+ you should ask a seasoned- veteran kiter to keep an eye on you..these guys will give you expert advice by assessing your skill level and to kite size and conditions @ the site. Be safe out there and share the stoke ...Good Winds
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:52 am

Condolences to the family and friends. Sounds like people did everything they could to help him. Thank you to all the responders, and especially to Yuri for checking on him and doing the rescue.
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

Thales
Joey
Joey

Post by Thales » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:16 am

maxsteamer wrote:then buy a ship to shore VHS radio Coast Guard Approved 1"x 3" ..the device can be purchased @ "West Marine" @ 2230 S Shore Ctr. here in Alameda.. the device is small and easy to attach to your body .

Thanks. Which one of these handhelds is preferable?

https://www.westmarine.com/choosing-a-vhf
Rich Ross

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Hey Rich, I would just pop in there and check them all out..I have a base station and handheld this lets me radio my wife to man the spotter scope to the chance that there may be a small craft that could assist the downed kiter..remember if it is 20+ to use the buddy system and if you don't have a bro kiter then to alert the crew @ the shack..if the shack is closed ..and you are launching from the shack ..kite down to the lower launch and check in with there crew..hope this helps...Share the stoke and send it...Max
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill