Dillon Beach location and guidelines?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
edented
Contributor
Contributor
Dillon Beach location and guidelines?

Post by edented » Wed May 16, 2018 8:53 am

Hi all,
I'm looking for some info on riding Dillon (probably this Friday afternoon 5/18/18) and looking for some basic info. Where do people set up? Do you park at Lawsons Landing? or at the first Dillon Beach parking lot?
I think I read/heard that riding is good down by the mouth of Tomales Bay. Is it still GW shark season? Any tips?

Thanks

-ben

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: Dillon Beach location and guidelines?

Post by reyrivera » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 am

There's no such thing as "GW season." Sharks are here year round. Yes, some migrate, but there are local sharks swimming about. Watch Shark Week.

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=1&t=8440

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... Local+Info

tomf82
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tomf82 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 am

Only been there once but I camped at Lawson’s, launched on the downwind side of the sandbar, had good buttery session, then rode upwind to the ocean. Be advised that launch is directly offshore....consequence of gear failure/inadequate skills could lead to an involuntary downwinders into Tomales.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm

unless the tide is going out NACF
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks- good info.. Lawsons Landing it is.
Sharks, yup.

cutting and pasting some relevant info, but the link has much more...

"At Dillon Beach, you launch from a sandy beach in strong side-onshore winds. At the preferred launch there is no shore break since all the swells' energy is spent on the offshore sand bars.

To find the Dillon Beach launch site, drive through the village of Dillon Beach, pass along the private fee beach and go towards Lawson's Landing. At the entrance, pay a $ fee. Park on the grass at the first restroom. Rig on the lawns and carry your gear over the towering sand dunes. Head out to the surf zone at the mouth of Tomales Bay. There are many breaks in this area. The surf sailing is backside but still fun and it is perfect for jumping. Watch out for shallow sand bars far from shore when the tide is low. Dillon is dangerous sailing due to strong currents, isolation, and many Great Whites. There have been three attacks here in recent years and sightings are common. The wind is similar to Tomales in strength but much steadier.
"

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am

Prolly kiters at dillon beach parking prolly none at lawsons
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 am

Be careful out there but enjoy - It's an unreal spot!

johnsnowy
Joey
Joey

Post by johnsnowy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Make sure you're a proficient kiter in waves before going to Dillon. Park in the beach lot or on the street. $10 to park in the lot unless you arrive after 5pm on weekdays. There is a good crew of local guys I see out there a lot. All nice guys, I'd ask their advice if you're going out for your first time. Wind is south west onshore and blows a little less than the forecast for Bodega Bay. There are some benches on the beach that you can use to launch your kite, but they're not always always a hook there, so bring your own. Watch out for people on warm weekends, the beach fills up with tourists. Waves tend to be bigger on the right side of the beach and flattens out as you get closer to the entrance of Tomales Bay. Have fun out there, It's an awesome spot with fun waves.