Launch problems/solutions

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor
Launch problems/solutions

Post by alexglebov » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:22 pm

I know we have discussed this topic so many times, but time and time again I see the same mistakes during launch. I think it is important to refresh some safety points before the season starts in Bay Area (especially spring nuking conditions).
The major problem I noticed during launch is wrong position of the kiter - most of the time way upwind. This results in kite pushing too hard or even collapsing on top of the person who is helping to launch the kite - not good and plain rude considering someone is trying to help you. If you see that happening to your assistant, please push the bar out and take couple steps towards your assistant to remove tension from your lines and move downwind.
Here are my suggestions how to eliminate/reduce this problem:
1. Make sure you are standing a little downwind relative to your kite
2. Hook in and don't touch the bar
3. Make several steps backwards to put a tension on your center lines, still don't touch the bar
4. Start walking upwind while maintaining a slight tension on your center lines, still don't touch the bar
5. When you see that kite is filled with air and not fluffing anymore, you are in the correct position now and you should see all your four lines not tangled.
6.Now you can grab the bar with one hand in the middle of the bar and pull it just slightly so you have very light tension on the control lines, steer the kite up and make sure you are not pulling the bar in anymore.
7. If the wind direction changes before kite is released and the kite is hot and pushing your assistant, please push the bar out and make couple steps toward your assistant (this is very similar to what you do when you land your kite).

Please don't just assume that you are in perfect position to launch your kite when your assistant picks up the kite - wind can and will change direction and your perfect position will be too hot.
Please be safe and start from way downwind and move upwind after you put tension on the center lines.
Please, be polite to your assistant and don't make him fight with your kite and end up in the middle of kite bridles.
I understand that most people reading this forum already know this and the ones who don't launch correctly probably not on this forum, but I hope I can help someone to avoid these simple mistakes.

John Doe
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Launch problems/solutions

Post by John Doe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 pm

It's really great that you wrote this up. It's funny cuz with some of the new kites & some extensive practice self-launching can be super easy & a safe way to go. I emphasize that is with quite a bit of practice & a newer kite that you can flip over easily.

I've been kiting since 99 & have launched everywhere you can imagine. My point is that once you start doing self launches at a lot of different spots, you rely more on flying the kite, launching-self landing the kite & pulling the release if you have to. I think if people were very familiar with these scenerios they'd be a lot more educated & make better decisions that would keep them out of trouble to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Launch problems/solutions

Post by NorCalNomad » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:49 pm

If you are the kiter you move in relation to the assistant/ your kite.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.