Roberts Landing spot this year

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor
Roberts Landing spot this year

Post by alexglebov » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Does anyone know what is the status of this spot? Is kiting still allowed there? Looks like there is a sign that says no bikes or pedestrians at the entrance to the bay from the bay trail. Should we just ignore it because we are kiters, not pedestrians :) Any information from people who kited there recently would be much appreciated. I know it was a lesson spot for KGB kiteboarding school and Royce pioneered this place.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: Roberts Landing spot this year

Post by reyrivera » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Have not been there for a long time, but I used to park at the Marina (Marina Park).

I would bring my bicycle and trailer, and ride all the way to the spot, its only about a mile or so pedaling to the spot. Beats having to deal with traffic around Hayward.

Since the path is by the water, I don't have to deal with crossing preserved areas, as the trail is marked as a bike trail as well.

but that was a few years ago...

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 pm

IMG_0658.png
IMG_0658.png (1.21MiB)Viewed 7632 times
Lots of hidden debris, specially hollow blocks that have re-bars from an old pier. Here is a shot of it at very low tide.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 am

http://www.sfba.org/call-to-action/iden ... ater-trail

Identification of Board sailing Sites for addition to the Bay Water Trail.

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by amir » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:10 pm

It's been several years since I've been to Roberts Landing after Royce introduced it to me a while back. There's some walking effort to get to it, but once you are there is pretty peaceful with no one around.

I frequented this spot a lot one summer when 3rd was continuously shut off or directly west due to heavy marine layer. I was also helping a beginner get comfortable at the time. It's fairly beginner friendly, shallow with beach. Booties are mandatory to keep free from cuts.

Here's the exact location https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6745907 ... a=!3m1!1e3

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 pm

I went with some friends to check it out a couple of years ago. High tide and a bunch of treacherous logs with nails made the launch area a no go at the time. If the tide is high you may not be able to ride it, but probably fun to explore on a 2 to 3 ft tide.

I dug up the video and posted it here ... maybe turn down your volume as it's a bunch of wind noise (forewarned!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6uJ3pArNpM[/video]

https://youtu.be/T6uJ3pArNpM

We did see some kites riding that looked like they launched from the golf course or marina. I would be curious to check that out at some point as i've been intrigued by the San Leandro offshore sensor.

Chaz
Joey
Joey

Post by Chaz » Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 am

I survey the beach and offshore area at a -1ft tide on 5/20/2018. Here are a few pictures of the area. In summary, the beach and offshore need some work. There are a few hazards that could easily be removed or at least marked. There is a sign at the beach trail entrance that says it's closed to pedestrians and vehicles - probably need more info on who posted that sign and if there's anything illegal about using the beach. The wind is typically good but onshore here. Offshore is a mixture of sand, mud, and small rock. There's a section slightly north with a primarily sand bottom and less hazards but there is nowhere to launch. See pictures. I'd be more than happy to join a group of people interested in this spot to help clean it up and ride ready. Would have to happen on a low tide. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Oh it is about a 3/4 mile walk to the beach from parking.
Attachments
IMG_5932.jpg
Robert's Landing beach
IMG_5932.jpg (1.33MiB)Viewed 7034 times
IMG_5913.jpg
Some sticks logs and tires
IMG_5913.jpg (1.32MiB)Viewed 7034 times
Last edited by Chaz on Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chaz
Joey
Joey

Post by Chaz » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am

More pictures
Attachments
IMG_5949.jpg
IMG_5949.jpg (1.53MiB)Viewed 7033 times
IMG_5988.jpg
IMG_5988.jpg (1.35MiB)Viewed 7033 times
IMG_5931.jpg
IMG_5931.jpg (1.19MiB)Viewed 7033 times
IMG_5948.jpg
IMG_5948.jpg (1.09MiB)Viewed 7033 times

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

went once years ago. two families, 3 kiters. man that was a lot of effort and walking to get there. however we had it all to ourselves. its shallow for quite some distance, but that also makes the water nice for tricks.

and to comment on that sign. i'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about it. people walk, jug and bike along those paths. probably one of those "stay away from my beach" signs.

bumpy
Joey
Joey

Post by bumpy » Wed May 23, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm game for helping with a cleanup. I've been wanting to try this spot for a while now. A bit of a hike but seems to get good wind many days.