Roberts Landing spot this year

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Chaz
Joey
Joey
Re: Roberts Landing spot this year

Post by Chaz » Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 am

Also, here is a video to show the whole spot. Notice the side with less debris.

https://youtu.be/2guS2S8RrmQ

Igor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Igor » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:11 pm

I am also interested in the spot as it would be closest to where I live ( Pleasanton) and the wind seems much more consistent than in other East Bay spots e.g. Alameda or Toll Plaza. So how do we go about joining forces?

Chaz
Joey
Joey

Post by Chaz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 pm

It looks like the best time to organize a clean up would be the weekend of June 16th and 17th where the tide is below -1ft. Low tide is early in the morning, 9AM.

Supplies to have:
-Gloves
-Boots (rubber rain boots for the muddy spots)
-Large trash bags
-Shovel
-Rope
-A reacher grabber would be a nice to have
-Something to pull around on the sand to quickly drop debris in, like a sled, but that might be a stretch.
-Some form of buoy to mark the two large tree trunks that we wont be able to move

Who is in?

Igor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Igor » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Pencil me in. Send me your contact info to ikitesurf456@outlook.com and I will respond with mine.

bumpy
Joey
Joey

Post by bumpy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:33 am

Bummer, I'm out of town 6/15 - 6/25. If the dates hold and I can't make it, I can donate some supplies. I have a bunch of old sailing ropes and a couple of boat fenders that could be used for bouys. I'll PM/email you guys my contact info. I could drop some stuff off with somebody next weekend.

Chaz
Joey
Joey

Post by Chaz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm trying to get a few people together for an early Saturday morning cleanup while the tide is very low. Low tide is -1.6 ft at 9AM and I would like to get started around 8:30AM. Anyone is free to join meet me at the spot. Parking will be limited so carpool is best.

Description: The shoreline in San Leandro, what we call Roberts Landing, is public land and managed by the San Leandro Marina. I spoke with Delmarie Snodgrass, the Marina Manager, and explained our intent to access the area for kiteboarding and our plan to clear the area of trash and debris. She was very excited about the idea and gave approval to use the trash can on the trail and drop any larger items (like tires) next to it. They will take care of it on Monday. Basically, the goal is to clear out any hazardous debris that would be hidden/submerged during a higher tide. This includes: logs, sticks, a few tires, glass, other rubbish. There are at least two large tree trunks that we wont be able to move, but another kiter donated some boat fenders that we can tie to them as floating indicators.

Supplies to bring:
Gloves
Shovel (I'll bring one)
Trash bags
Reacher-Grabber
Bottled Water
If anyone has something we can pile things into and pull around, like a sled or similar, that would be great to have.
Tall boots or waders - A good portion of the area is mud, similar to what you see at 3rd, So tall boots are a must. i'm going to wear some waders to stay clean and dry.

Directions:
You can access the beach from the Heron Bay Access Point. Just walk along the bay trail until it reaches shore, the paved path will go right, take a left off of the trail for a few hundred feet and you will see the beach.

Parking: Parking is limited - car pool if you can. There are only 6 public spaces in the roundabout before you enter the heron bay neighborhood. DO NOT park in the neighborhood - you have a high chance of being towed. If there is no parking, you will need to park up the street by the shopping center. you could also park at the San Leandro Marina Park, but that would be a longer walk.

Hope to see a few people there!

mfreitas8
Joey
Joey

Post by mfreitas8 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am

Hi Guys, I'll try to make it Saturday morning.

Igor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Igor » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 pm

The closest available parking is at the shopping plaza @ lewelling & wicks blvds

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Foodn ... 22.1543136

then it is a 12 -15 min walk along lewelling blvd , then bayfront dr and bay trail to the edge of water and then south at the T.

I plan to be there and bring a small hand truck a shovel a rake and whatever else I can think of.