Off to a bad start already

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
CdoG
Old School
Old School
Re: Off to a bad start already

Post by CdoG » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:08 am

alexglebov wrote:I thought that legal launch is between the shack and the antenna. At least that is what I have been told when I took lessons there two years ago.
So that is what would you tell someone just starting out kiting.
Safer for you and the rest of the beach

Also you may find someone @ shell gate to help see you along ,you may not .you may end up down there all by yourself.

What ever you decide please Kite responsibly .
And as ozeriuosn said
Interacting with the public in a negative way with your kite is the worst thing we could do as Kiter's

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

We need to respect swimmers as well, that is why the guidelines say we need to stay 200 ft offshore.

I completely agree with ozeriuosn :
"Interacting with the public in a negative way with your kite is the worst."
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Well with the season kicking off with the Ides of March ,in like a lion out like a lamb
and changes coming to the Shack area ...
I guess we'll just have to show up and figure it out as we go along.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (1012.11KiB)Viewed 4453 times

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Holy crap, the long fabled remodel is finally starting!

Ooooo change oooooo

highvoltj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by highvoltj » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 am

Ummmm....I have a confession to make....Last year, even after taking some lesson's with Stephen at Boardsports/Crown Beach, and feeling somewhat confident in my launching ability, on a crowded day at Crown, I was lined up with an assisted launch on a seemingly light wind day, when as my 14m kite came to the top of the window a gust came up and I panicked and pulled on the bar putting more power into the kite...Thankfully someone saw my stupid move and grabbed the back of my harness and yelled "Let Go"! I did so and my kite came crashing to the sand landing on the small fence and shredding the canopy. I may have lost my kite but my life was saved and I gained a new-found respect for the power of wind and those around me that were "Aware".
This is a dangerous sport and even when you may think that you know what's up, $h*t happens!! So I am Totally Grateful to have the chance to invest in more lesson's instead of a hospital bill and Thankful for the other Seasoned Kiter's that came to my rescue!

.+++++++++++++++++++++

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks for sharing your story highvoltj

MJ0_

Thales
Joey
Joey

Post by Thales » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:22 am

dz wrote:On very crowded days, I think it is a bad idea to have kites land in the same area where people are trying to launch. This slows down the process of getting people off the beach, and creates disorder in the launch area.
I often 'self rescue' a bit down the beach and then walk the kite back to the shack. It seems so much easier than clogging up the lanes when the beach is busy. On mellow days, I'll fly right back and ask for a catch.
Oh - I have noticed a lot of people walking a long way back up the beach with their kites in the air to ask for a catch. Seems like a bad idea - am I missing something?
Sorry for the necropost!
Rich Ross