Carmel / Pebble Beach

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
knyfe
Resident
Resident
Carmel / Pebble Beach

Post by knyfe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 am

I have the luck to spend next week in Pebble Beach and I am wondering if I should even bring my kites with me. Are there any kiteable spots around? Is should I just plan to get surfing?

G

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Re: Carmel / Pebble Beach

Post by Yoda » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:19 pm

For the most part there's not really any kiting near the Carmel/Monterey area. Some have kited at Carmel Beach, but it's rare. Going north towards Santa Cruz there's a spot near Moss Landing that can get some winds. The most popular spot is north of Santa Cruz called Waddell which is an advanced surfing spot. Winter is not for the tame at heart and the coast can be the most challenging conditions to kite in.
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... Local+Info

Also be aware that the Carmel and Waddell are within the Red Triangle aka the Great White shark zone, so you have to be able to tolerate that aspect if venturing into the sea.

This is the off-season for northern CA, but if you get lucky you may be able to catch a day or two. Winds would be generated from approaching frontal systems which have been lacking this winter.
I'd probably not bring your kites, just golf clubs and a 5/4 hooded wetsuit so you can rent a surfboard for some cold water surfing if you want to get wet. There's some epic mountain biking trails around there, so maybe bring some colder weather cycling gear as well. Enjoy!

sewerrat
Joey
Joey

Re: Carmel / Pebble Beach

Post by sewerrat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:11 am

"For the most part there's not really any kiting near the Carmel/Monterey area."

That pretty much sums it up; however, I have kited Asilomar beach and others have kited Marina State beach on Norwesterlies. This time of year, look for strong NW wind that lights up Waddel and filters down quite a bit at Marina. Asilomar is fickle, to say the least. It is not at all beginner friendly, and really, really fricken cold!

Good luck!