Improving safety for 3rd upper launch

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
knyfe
Resident
Resident
Re: Improving safety for 3rd upper launch

Post by knyfe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm

I never saw anyone in the net just as a record. Remember the biggest problem is always holding the bar in the first place (me included !!!). Everything else is second.

If you want to do something durable get hooked with SFBA and get on the official baytrail/bayaccess committee. The problem with 3rd specifically is that you dont deal with just one authority but multiple as there is no clear dividing line. You count it in years just to get to an approval without even moving one grain of sand. Thats why over the years most of us got too frustrated and backed out. I am not sure who still has their hands in the game - I guess SFBA is the only one still stirring. Have you ever done town stuff then you only imagine what you will go through over the next years. Its a long term project for sure.

All self made improvements/projects didnt last very long- most of them were gone after one single storm as water is a true force once combined with waves.

Anyway - I hope I did not demotivate the motivated - PM me when you need a hand. G

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 am

More than one person has been caught in the net before reaching the rocks.

Leo

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:21 am

Sadly, I don't think you can baby-proof third avenue's upper launch. The only thing we can do is to police as much as possible. Which is exhausting frankly since most people will just scoff at you and do whatever they want (they'll always find someone to give them a launch and I've never felt like being the ass-hole who cuts someone's lines)
The problem with third ave is the same as Alemeda: beginners come over and rig too big or intermediate kiters decide to go on sketchy gusty and shifty days.
Seriously, unless you're pro, just pack your kites between September and March and go surfing or do something else. When in doubt, don't go out. Just because a few riders are out (they're probably locals who know exactly what they are doing) that doesn't mean you should go too.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D