Accident at 3rd ave, upper launch, Sat 12/16

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
f
Contributor
Contributor
Accident at 3rd ave, upper launch, Sat 12/16

Post by f » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 am

From what I heard somebody got dragged into the rocks at the upper launch, lost consciousness. The doctor(s) that arrived via helicopter spent at least 15 minutes in the ambulance before he was airlifted, seemed pretty serious. I hope the kiter is OK.

Unfortunately the people in the ambulance initially didn't know how to get onto the bike path and drive to the upper launch.

The picture shows the intersection next to Mariners point golf course (they closed the gate temporarily).
2017-12-17 helicopter.png
2017-12-17 helicopter.png (1.73MiB)Viewed 7280 times

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Re: Accident at 3rd ave, upper launch, Sat 12/16

Post by knyfe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm

what a horrible end to an otherwise great day. All the best hopes and wishes.

Any more details on his/her condition and on how it all happened?

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:57 pm

I saw it happen, but don't have much in the way of concrete details.
I was just finishing wrapping up my lines and 2 steps in heading over to try to help. Wind had shifted between my landing and his launching, and briefly gusted up a bit. It looked like he was struggling to get control while launching a bit much upwind, with the launcher pushed too close the rocks. I didn't see what size kite it was, but someone mentioned it was too large (12?)

His lines might have been wrapped or crossed as his kite went 'up, through, and over'. He was hurled pretty much instantly into the rocks head first. He was wearing a helmet, so hopefully that has helped. I don't know that there was any identification on hand, so without a name I don't know how to get updates on his condition. Hoping for the best.

On that note... I'll be adding an ICE (in case of emergency) luggage tag to my kitebags, and re-tagging gear with my name and number.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:37 am

Oversized kite for the conditions and rider weight,
Luancher in an awkward unsafe position, getting pushed inside the power zone,
Why did not they just abort and reset?

irvinside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by irvinside » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 am

The beach is definitively way closer to the bike path rocks than it used to be 4 years ago (it is really obvious on the east side of the beach), and I have the impression the launch 'sandy part' (if sand even applies) shrunk significantly since the very last storm.

I do not know if the accident happened over there, but this is becoming a more dangerous area for launching for sure and wind angle affect kite launch & risk more than before.

This might be critical with a limited Quiver (economy reasons,...), and not having the right kite size.. well we have been there. More experienced we accept to take more risks for Water, Wind, and Thrill ; and sometimes it is just bare luck things do not go very wrong...

So sad to hear anyway... Hope this kiter will do just fine in time, Glad he had his Helmet.

Good lesson as witness to chase for the ambulance on the parking lot when one is injured at 3Rd. Much appreciated.

Take Care
- Greg
Kites: Gong Strutless V2: 12m, 9m, BRM Cloud D.0 6.2
Board: F-One Mitu Monteiro 5'10", Moses Onda 91 + Groove skate
Harness: ION B2
Wetsuit: ION Strike Amp 2017

irvinside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by irvinside » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 am

Apparently, the accident happened on that side of the beach indeed, and the kite (9m) was very close to the bike path rocks due to wind direction, so: no security margin when things went wrong with a gust. He is a seasoned kiter, with a helmet but the rocks got him in the face. Pretty shocking I have been told.

Jonathan (not sure his last name...) was still in hospital last week, and not 'out of the bushes'. We Hope you are doing good by now Jonathan !

Let's remain very careful out there, especially on that side of the launch during winter/spring.

Take care !

Greg
Kites: Gong Strutless V2: 12m, 9m, BRM Cloud D.0 6.2
Board: F-One Mitu Monteiro 5'10", Moses Onda 91 + Groove skate
Harness: ION B2
Wetsuit: ION Strike Amp 2017