Crissy questions

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
HuckFinn
Joey
Joey
Crissy questions

Post by HuckFinn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:03 am

Hi. I've searched and do not have my questions answered. I'm traveling to SF for work on 10/30 and 10/31. I want to bring my gear (assortment of clouds) and foil. I'm not a super star foiler but I'm competent and, due to chasing light winds, I have a lot of real experience in self rescue and long swims. I kite in the Boston 12 months a year so the Bay water temps are balmy to me.

My questions. I will be taking an uber from the financial district. I will have limited stuff in my bag at the beach but is it likely to get stolen? What if I have an extra kite? Is it crazy to leave something like that at the beach? I'm thinking of bringing a 6, 10 and 13 and 32m and 22m bars. I still use the 13m for light days and enjoy it. There is virtually no threat of theft where I kite. Will there likely be kiters on a Monday or Tuesday morning if there is wind, even marginal, so I can ask some orientation questions? I assume any length mast is fine at Crissy but if I end up at Almeida is a full mast okay? I mostly use a 70cm at home because of tides but have a 90cm. Any heads up is appreciated. I'm up for the adventure including getting skunked. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: Crissy questions

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Hello, the season is over, do not go out alone, you can leave your stuff with a local if someone is there. If it is sail-able in the afternoon, a local foiler will be there.

Sunset is 6:11 pm

Please read this:

http://www.sfba.org/winter-kiting.html

morecoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morecoffee » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Oct 30/31 are low odds. Nov & Dec are the two deadest months of the year, even for foilers with foil kites. You might be better off saving the baggage fees and putting the money towards a La Ventana trip sometime Nov-Feb. Oct 30/31 morning wind? Maybe 1 in 20 chance across both days. Afternoon wind (at least one kiteable hour between 3 and 6pm), maybe 1 in 4 chance.

I've seen people leave their stuff on the beach, about once a year stuff gets stolen off the beach. If you do that put your stuff on the sand upwind of the lagoon outlet, where there is far less foot traffic. If there is afternoon wind there will be a few kiters there, some of whom ride clouds. Either mast length will work for Alameda, though the shorter mast will open up more tide range (maybe +2.5 feet). If there's a big choppy ebb at crissy you'll want the longer mast.

You may be used to tides and cold water, but keep in mind the crissy tides can run 6 knots each direction. You might be cabable of swimming your gear a mile to shore, but can you do it in the 15 minute window a fast tide gives you before you're epically fucked? Ebb tide takes you out to sea where the shore falls away to the south and north, and flood tide takes you into busy shipping with nothing but a forest of pier pilings to try to come out on.

Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by Captain John » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:39 am

Give me a call and you might be able to get a session. I provide boat support for all sessions so no matter what, you're covered. I provide all gear so you don't need to bring anything including wetsuit. I even have a foilboard you can use.

Yes, many people are saying the season is over, but it's not. The typical long-lasting 20+ knot windspeeds just aren't very common anymore, keeping the average kiter whose largest kite is a 12m, on the beach. But you will find windspeeds that reach into the low to mid teens levels but last for shorter periods of the day. As long as the nearby wind (ocean) sensors read NW/W/SW, the waters off Crissy Field have a good chance to reach kite-able, though light conditions.

The winds outside of Crissy Beach, coming in directly through the gap in the continent, aka, The Gate, are often stronger and kite-able but weaker at the beach. This makes it difficult to launch and successfully get outside to the stronger wind. Also, currents can can be problems once your kite goes down... Launching from the boat avoids these hassles and ensures your return.

Kitesurfing equipment continues to improve so we can enjoy light wind conditions more than ever! You just need to be ready to go when conditions are on, and have some current lightwind gear. I provide a 15m one-strut kite, very good for low to mid teens windspeed. Most kiters that are getting Crissy sessions this time of year, are equipped with such lightwind gear, including foils. They also have a better sense for a dying wind and head back to the beach in time, using impressive lightwind skills.

Please choose wisely when heading out for a session in this off-season time of year. With shorter days of light, it's easier to be left out in the dark. The high amount of coast guard rescues continues to be a concern among many local kiters as we fear a potential site regulation, limiting kiter access.

John
KiteTheBay.com
415-295-KITE
Attachments
IMG_7235.JPG
IMG_7235.JPG (1.58MiB)Viewed 6230 times
fullsizeoutput_1756.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1756.jpeg (942.75KiB)Viewed 6230 times
KiteTheBay.com

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am

For crying out loud, the season is over.

This is off season kite-boarding and you had best have your shit together.

If you still want to go out, call Captain John.

Picture of foil-boarder off season being epic-ally fucked over and drifting out to sea, rescued by police boat last week.
23116677_731685047035301_2562227164945934383_o.jpg
23116677_731685047035301_2562227164945934383_o.jpg (206.12KiB)Viewed 6224 times

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Oh my gosh Jeff, that picture ... *Chills*

Season's still goin @ Neptune Beach!