Race Track Report

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin
Race Track Report

Post by WindMuch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Major progress on the Albany "Race Track" beach upgrade/kite launch project. Report from Andrew Sullivan:

"Today, the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) authorized the beach restoration plan at the East Bay site known as 'Racetrack' with 'special accommodation for kite boarding.' This included expanded open space for launch and landing and maintenance of grass to accommodate for our lines. Kirk van Moon was there with me.

While the outcome was favorable, the kiting community very nearly lost access to this location, as the designs that were about to be authorized a few months ago would have made safe launch and landing very difficult. It was only by dumb luck that I became aware of this before the final vote and managed to delay the process and negotiate changes to the designs. The delay also gave me time to engage other members of the kite community, most notably, Kirk van Moon and and various members of the San Francisco Boardsailing Association (SFBA)--an organization I had never heard of.

Jim McGraph, an SFBA and BCDC board member with 30+ years of coastal restoration and access experience, was tremendously helpful in guiding me through the mine field of political interests involved in the Albany Beach/Bay Trail plan. While the SFBA has been a critical force in ensuring and preserving access for windsurfers for decades, the organization is not well known among kiters. Their interests are very similar, however, and their experience is unmatched. It became clear to me that kiters need an organization like this to advocate for and protect our access while we're out enjoying it.

After representing kiter interests before various organizations involved in the Albany Beach project, the SFBA asked me to work with them to help them incorporate the specific needs of kiters into their agenda and to improve their reach in the Kiter community. I only agreed to help after speaking with Kirk, who agreed that we (kiters) need to have better representation before committees that determine access and that--most import to me--he would help me raise awareness of the SFBA's role in protecting access.

In short, the fight to preserve Racetrack was just the start of a larger effort to ensure we not only lose other access points but that we have an organization through which we can work. I hope you'll join me and Kirk in working to make this happen."
IMG_6793.jpg
IMG_6793.jpg (321.6KiB)Viewed 7740 times
IMG_6787.jpg
IMG_6787.jpg (281.09KiB)Viewed 7740 times
IMG_6786.jpg
IMG_6786.jpg (222.15KiB)Viewed 7740 times

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: Race Track Report

Post by Kyle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:02 pm

MJ0_ MJ0_ MJ0_

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 am

Look here: for news from the SFBA.

http://www.sfba.org/newsletters.html

Jeb Mud
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Jeb Mud » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Great news!
Looking forward to Phase II and Phase III, which is supposed to make the beach extend all the way to the ruins of the old pier there.

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by amir » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Awesome!!! Great Job!

twoofive
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twoofive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:34 pm

Great thanks guys!