Bad behavior at Crissy field

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident
Bad behavior at Crissy field

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 am

So sad that this weekend a large group of visitor Kite-boarders violated maritime law rule 9 by impeding the path of commercial ship traffic, this being a very large cargo container ship out bound at the golden gate bridge. The ship had to come to a complete stop.

Also I have been informed by the Coast Guard, that people are not getting on the police and fire boats, ferries when offered assistance because they do not want to be dropped off at pier 39 . Then later the Coast Guard is called out.
The taxi ride is only $20 back to the beach, just keep a 20 in your car, or CC. Or you can find out who your real friends are that drive to pier 39 to pick you up.

Incredibly disappointing to hear of some kiters being belligerent with the CG when told that they might not get taxied back directly to Crissy after a rescue. CG's policy on this is "closest safe harbor" -- and we are lucky to have them at all.the coast guard is not a taxi service, please help spread the word to all kiters (and windsurfers) to respect the conditions and the geography in the Bay, know your abilities, never depend on or expect a rescue and be respectful and grateful to the coast guard in the unexpected event that you do require a rescue.

This is so unfair to the local kite-boarders at Crissy Field.

The Coast Guard is monitoring all the kite and windsurf forums, so watch your mouth-typing.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Bad behavior at Crissy field

Post by cleepa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Wow! That is incredibly stupid and dangerous. Ships like that take a long time to slow down.

As for the rescue situation, I agree. People should feel grateful to anybody that saves their life, instead of whining about where they get dropped off.

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:23 pm

kooks! JQI*

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm not one for an overabundance of rules, but if other people's actions are jeopardizing access, it may be time to implement a "streamer" type program like they do in Chicago...
https://chicagokitesurfing.com/where-to ... gulations/

I think some other popular spots could now benefit from this type of a program to be honest. !$*(

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm still trying to understand what exactly happened...

Some out-of-towner kiters, went out kiteboarding as a group, and they all somehow got into a barge's way?

(*tt ?

I'm a little confused. It doesn't matter where you're from, there's bound to be boat traffic where you are, right? Do rules disappear when you travel?

Also, like one kiter getting in the way I can see, but a group? Sounds intentional?

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 am

We apparently have a group of asshole kite-boarders in the bay area, going to sites in a pack.

They are very reckless and scuff lawless.

They are giving kite-boarders a bad reputation all over the bay area.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 am

What actually happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:03 am

That's a bummer. Ships scare me ... especially given my current foiling proficiency. Why oh why oh why you would pass even remotely close, or behind and risk the wake/wind shadow is insane. >K($

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am

Update on more bad behavior at Crissy Field.
The StFYC Sailing coaches and volunteers have been very supportive to kiteboarders and windsurfers.
It is very unfortunate that this past week they were disrepected.
Here is there story from Head Sailing Couch St Francis Yacht Club.
"I am the head sailing coach at StFYC. In my time here I have rescued at least 30 kiteboarders and a couple of windsurfers. Yesterday afternoon I was on the water in a RIB with 5 dinghies, a total of 10 teenagers. Breeze was 15-25kts, with a touch of ebb on it. I was doing everything I could to keep my boats upright and safe. A passing kiteboarder informed me of a kiter in trouble, asked me to help. I told him I couldnt leave my sailors, but could call the coast guard for him. Before I could pick up the radio, another kiter came up and yelled at me that I "I had to go rescue him". I explained to him why I couldnt, and he began to curse at me. In the end, another one of StFYCs coaches came out from the harbor and rescued the kiter.
I just want to make sure that everyone at Crissy understands that StFYC sailing coaches all have a obligation to the sailors they are coaching, to keep them safe. The USCG is always available to rescue you and your friends. We are sometimes available to help out. But if one of my younger coaches had been berated by your friend, id be on the beach finding him."
Last edited by Tony Soprano on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 pm

wow... some people... same thing with motorcycles. a few bad apples give the rest a rotten reputation. we need to find these guys and have a word with them. i bet they behave like that off the water as well.

as for the initial incident. i'm pretty sure sailing vessels don't always have the right of way. if you're a kiter, wouldn't you want to avoid colliding with a container carrier?