Looking for beginner kite gear

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
louisep
Joey
Joey
Looking for beginner kite gear

Post by louisep » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:48 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to kitesurfing and I've taken a few classes already. Now I'd like to buy my own gear and start training by myself.

I'm looking for a 7 meters and 10 meters, as well as female harness size M, a bar and a board.
Any advice on where to buy kite gear?

Thanks a lot
Louise

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Re: Looking for beginner kite gear

Post by super_monkey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I have a 2013 9m Vegas and a 2012 7m Vegas both in great condition with one bar that fits both. I also have a Shinn 128 board in excellent shape. Send me a message if you'd like to take a look

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 pm

For the record... the North Vegas is a traditional C-kite designed for advanced freestyle and wakestyle riders. If you're a beginner wanting to progress, the Vegas will make that progression slow, frustrating, and possibly dangerous. Now if you like a challenge, then by all means focus on getting a C-kite. Your best bet is to get a 4-line kite designed and marketed towards "all-around" use. Once you find your preferred discipline, you can then focus on getting a kite designed for that style of riding.

The 128cm "mystery" Shinn board mentioned above could work for you if you're petite, but not knowing what type of riding the board is designed for may cause you some headaches. Most beginners benefit from a bigger, "all-around" type board for learning and progressing. These generally become their dedicated light-wind board later on as they improve their skills. Look for something around the 134-140 x 39-42cm range.

Best places to buy:
Local shops and schools
iKitesurf, Bay Area Kiteboarding, and Northwest Kiteboarding classifieds
Craigs List and Ebay
If using the classifieds and CL/Ebay, please consult with someone experienced before committing and even better have someone inspect the gear to make sure it's safe for use. Good luck!
Last edited by Yoda on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:13 pm

These are some online kiteboard outfitters located here in northern CA:
Relaunchsports.com
Kitezombies.com

Xtremebigair.com is in Pismo. Good shop, good people!

Windance in Oregon touts themselves as the largest used kite gear shop in the world...
http://www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Kites/

Getakite.us (nice website for finding many classifieds online)

Support local if you can!

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:55 am

Yoda wrote:For the record... the North Vegas is a traditional C-kite designed for advanced freestyle and wakestyle riders. If you're a beginner wanting to progress, the Vegas will make that progression slow, frustrating, and possibly dangerous. Now if you like a challenge, then by all means focus on getting a C-kite. Your best bet is to get a 4-line kite designed and marketed towards "all-around" use. Once you find your preferred discipline, you can then focus on getting a kite designed for that style of riding.

The 128cm "mystery" Shinn board mentioned above could work for you if you're petite, but not knowing what type of riding the board is designed for may cause you some headaches. Most beginners benefit from a bigger, "all-around" type board for learning and progressing. These generally become their dedicated light-wind board later on as they improve their skills. Look for something around the 134-140 x 39-42cm range.

Best places to buy:
Local shops and schools
iKitesurf, Bay Area Kiteboarding, and Northwest Kiteboarding classifieds
Craigs List and Ebay
If using the classifieds and CL/Ebay, please consult with someone experienced before committing and even better have someone inspect the gear to make sure it's safe for use. Good luck!

I will have to disagree with the majority of the things you said regarding the Vegas. It sounds like you mean well but really don't know what you're talking about. I would recommend the Vegas to any beginner and have taught my gf and a number of friends to kite on them. Buying 'begginer' kites and boards is a total waste of money for very little benefit. I would take that money and invest it in more advanced lessons and supervised downwinders.

Here is a thread discussing a much older version of the Vegas with very knowledgeable people chiming in https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... 9&start=10

Another one for also an older one http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2348506

This guy here gave you advice on anecdotal information without any practical experience or knowledge. You will find a lot of that in the community, guys who have all the opinions but are not particularly good at kiting. I would only buy gear from one of the top brands (North, Naish, Cabrinha, Slingshot, F-One) and pretty much get anything recent that matches your budget, is in good shape and preferably from someone local who visits the same spots as you to give you guidance. Avoid all the second rate brands no matter how good of a deal you are getting as they are simply not as good. You get what you pay for and there are no free lunches.
Last edited by super_monkey on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:32 am

super_monkey wrote: This guy here gave you advice on anecdotal information without any practical experience or knowledge. You will find a lot of that in the community, guys who have all the opinions but are not particularly good at kiting. I would buy gear from one of the top 5 brands and pretty much get anything recent that matches your budget and is in good shape.
LOL It's apparent that you have zero clue about me, my experience, and my knowledge.
I could try to defend myself here, but it's clear I would be just waisting my time.

To the OP, maybe you should get a Vegas and experience it for yourself. I've flown this kite and it's not my cup of tea, but maybe it will be for you. Good luck with your search.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:37 am

Yoda wrote:
super_monkey wrote: This guy here gave you advice on anecdotal information without any practical experience or knowledge. You will find a lot of that in the community, guys who have all the opinions but are not particularly good at kiting. I would buy gear from one of the top 5 brands and pretty much get anything recent that matches your budget and is in good shape.
LOL It's apparent that you have zero clue about me, my experience, and my knowledge.
I could try to defend myself here, but it's clear I would be just waisting my time.

To the OP, maybe you should get a Vegas and experience it for yourself. I've flown this kite and it's not my cup of tea, but maybe it will be for you. Good luck with your search.
Oh, I know exactly who you are and by all means, do defend yourself. It would be a funny read.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:56 am

Note that those threads posted above are from nearly 10 years ago. Times have changed quite a bit since then. Just saying!
The Vegas has a long history, but it has evolved over years just like many other long-lasting kite models from other brands.

Look at North's website to get a feel for where their kites are position and intended for and then go from there. I think you'll have no trouble deciphering what would be best.

Be aware that there are no "beginner" kites, so don't be fooled. However there are some brands making "school" kites which are just reinforced "all-around" kites. Almost every manufacture makes a good all-around kite, including North. Even if skilled, if you like to mix up your riding style, all-around kites can be the best kites for your quiver. They let you do it all, but they're not perfect at any specific riding style. That's why there are dedicated kites for freestyle, freeride, wave, etc, so once you find your passion you can get the right "tool" for more precision.
I'm done now. Good luck!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 am

super_monkey wrote:
Yoda wrote:
super_monkey wrote: Oh, I know exactly who you are and by all means, do defend yourself. It would be a funny read.
Why waist my time with an obvious troll. Sorry to disappoint. Bye!

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:16 am

Yoda wrote:Note that those threads posted above are from nearly 10 years ago. Times have changed quite a bit since then. Just saying!
The Vegas has a long history, but it has evolved over years just like many other long-lasting kite models from other brands.

Look at North's website to get a feel for where their kites are position and intended for and then go from there. I think you'll have no trouble deciphering what would be best.

Be aware that there are no "beginner" kites, so don't be fooled. However there are some brands making "school" kites which are just reinforced "all-around" kites. Almost every manufacture makes a good all-around kite, including North. Even if skilled, if you like to mix up your riding style, all-around kites can be the best kites for your quiver. They let you do it all, but they're not perfect at any specific riding style. That's why there are dedicated kites for freestyle, freeride, wave, etc, so once you find your passion you can get the right "tool" for more precision.
I'm done now. Good luck!

Yeah, I think we're just going to have to disagree on a lot of things. In the past 10 years very little actually changed. The fundamental shapes haven't changed, the control systems didn't change and neither did the boards. The only real difference is that we have foils now which really is inconsequential to the discussion. You are also talking up hype and marketing. You can pretty much use and enjoy any kite for any one of the riding styles you just mentioned unless, of course, you are a professional like you and simply can't be bothered with a 'wave' kite for your 'freestyle' moves. It is a matter of preference ultimately, however, I stand by what I said earlier that the Vegas is an excellent beginner kite.