Crissy: hungry but scared

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
gmiller88
Contributor
Contributor
Crissy: hungry but scared

Post by gmiller88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:44 am

Hey there,

I've lived in the Bay for two years and have been avoiding Crissy Field because of all the caution advisories I've read here on the Crissy briefing and elsewhere. The currents and the possibility of the wind dying on me only to need a CG rescue have kept me away. But, after one too many trips out to Sherman only to get skunked, I'm starting to wonder if I should give Crissy a shot -- it's like 15 minutes from my house. For a confident kiter, should I get over myself and give Crissy a chance? I ride a twin tip but would be open to getting a surfboard for flotation if that'd make the difference. I have a 5/4 suit and booties so no fear of the cold water.

Some context on my ability... I've been kiting for four years. I've done a lot of 7m kiting in gusty locations (Hood River, Bahia Salinas/Playa Copal in Costa Rica). I'm happy in flat, chop, waves, whatever. Confidently boosting both directions, back and front rolls, all hooked riding.

Thanks for your help making an informed decision! Should I take the plunge, would of course check with folks on the beach to make sure I'm aware of the local conditions.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: Crissy: hungry but scared

Post by Kyle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:59 pm

How are you getting skunked at Sherman? I would familiarize yourself with typical Bay Area weather patterns and wind conditions... get an iKitesurf pro account and read the pro forecasts and backcasts.

As for Crissy, lots of people kite there but they are familiar with the conditions and kite with caution. It sounds like you are perfectly capable of kiting Crissy, but again, you should become more knowledgeable regarding the wind patterns. I look at the forecast and conditions even on days I don't kite. Over time, you will build up knowledge and experience that will help you make your own decisions as opposed to relying on others or computers:)

Have fun!

gmiller88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gmiller88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Good tip, I love the ikitesurf pro forecast. Yesterday it was predicting 14-18 kts at Sherman which made me prepare for the possibility of getting skunked, but made the drive just in case the wind did deliver.

My question is less about the wind conditions at Crissy and more "should confident kiters, if they take decent precautions, fear kiting at Crissy?" An analogy might be driving. Driving a car is always risky, but if you know what you're doing and take into account the conditions, you drastically reduce the risk. Riding a motorcycle, though, is always going to have unpredictable elements (gravel in the road, other drivers) that will f your day up no matter how much you manage the risk. Is Crissy like a motorcycle, or like a car?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:43 pm

gmiller88 wrote:Good tip, I love the ikitesurf pro forecast. Yesterday it was predicting 14-18 kts at Sherman which made me prepare for the possibility of getting skunked, but made the drive just in case the wind did deliver.
A good way to know if SI is going to be good is by knowing the marine layer status on the coast. Generally the deeper and taller the marine layer (2k ft is ideal), the better the winds will be at SI.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/ocean/marine.html
* click onto the small schematic at right for a good visual on this process.

gmiller88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gmiller88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Awesome tip, Yoda, thanks!