Best Freestyle Twintip?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
johnsnowy
Joey
Joey
Best Freestyle Twintip?

Post by johnsnowy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm looking for a new twintip, but all the freestyle models seem too stiff. I come from a wakeboard/snowbaord background and I like a little more flex in my board for added pop. I'm only 155lbs and ride my 7m/10m flatwater and small waves with full boots most of the time. What would you guys reccommend.. Im checking out the Slingshot Vision and the Naish Stomp right now.

Kite on yall!

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: Best Freestyle Twintip?

Post by Kyle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:37 pm

you should go up to Sherman this weekend and try all the F-One demo boards. Conditions will be perfect. I really like my Trax; it's not too stiff, but still good load and pop.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:32 am

Pop is gained not loss with stiffness. ;)
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 pm

touche;) Although I think it's more complicated than that. It's probably dependent on the rider weight and ability to load. A stiffer spring (board) can clearly store more energy than a softer spring, but requires more force to do so. So if you are strong/heavy/powerful/able to edge harder than you can definitely get more energy (pop) out of a stiffer board. If you are not, then you may see benefits from something softer.

johnsnowy
Joey
Joey

Post by johnsnowy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks guys. Yea I'm pretty light so the softer boards allow me to pop harder and higher. I like to be able to feel that flex and snap but without diminishing it's up wind ability too much.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Check out these...
Shinn ADHD

Axis Vanguard

Tona Pop Ltd

Litewave Kick-S (pro rider Rocky Chatwell is riding this)

Liquid Force and Slingshot are also worth a look since they're both known for their wakeboards.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 pm

johnsnowy wrote:Thanks guys. Yea I'm pretty light so the softer boards allow me to pop harder and higher. I like to be able to feel that flex and snap but without diminishing it's up wind ability too much.
I'm the same weight as you so if you like to feel the board flex (when popping) a little don't get the North Gambler. It's what I'm riding now at 139 and it's STIFF. The Team is a little more flexible (though not by much) and the Jaime is kinda a nice in between.

If you want to try it though during the week I'm at Alameda, then 3rd or Sherman on the weekends.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

johnsnowy
Joey
Joey

Post by johnsnowy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Has anyone tried the F-one Acid? Looks like it only comes in a 132 or 133. Also looking at the CrazyFly Addict now.I still havent decided and wish I could try all these boards before spending $600.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm

The pop really depends on the rider and not so much on the board. Different boards require a different way of loading up the board which might be more or less natural to an individual person who may have had a different board in the past. My favorite is a 2014 North Team Series, it just kind of feels the easiest for me. I also have a 2017 North Team Series and I struggle with being able to load it properly most of the time. However, when I do manage to do it right, the pop is significantly more explosive than on the 2014. I'm selling the 2017 by the way and you can try either one if you'd like.

Erik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Erik » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Yoda wrote:Tona Pop Ltd
+1 on this. The board requires a bit more power, so you usually have to rig slightly bigger (which is better for freestyle anyway). My favourite thing about the Tona boards is the decent amount of rocker and water channels that run the full length of the board. Makes the landings much softer, and your knees will thank you.