2017 Delta Board Meeting

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
2017 Delta Board Meeting

Post by windstoked » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 pm

The Delta Board Meeting kiteboarding competition is approaching, and registration is now open.
Come join the competition, fun and camaraderie.

http://thekitebar.com/events/

opie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 2017 Delta Board Meeting

Post by opie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:51 am

"Please note that due to launch site constraints, use of foilboards is not recommended."

Why? Is it shallow for a long way out?

Thanks, Chris

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:00 am

You can, but there is zero room for error:

1) Launch site can only safely accommodate one rider at a time entering or exiting the ramp.
2) Lots of hidden debris in the water that has not yet been mapped. Think concrete blocks with re-bar. Go there on an extreme low tide and you will see the issues.
3) You can mosey quickly to the navigational markers where it is deeper, but that area can get congested with boats going in and out of the Marina.

Maybe you can explore the area by initially using a short mast, and then once you figure out where the shallow area and the debris are located, then switch to the long mast. Share your experience if you do ride there. I've kited there but have yet to ride a foil there as I am still a foil newbie. Would be interested in your experience.
opie wrote:"Please note that due to launch site constraints, use of foilboards is not recommended."

Why? Is it shallow for a long way out?

Thanks, Chris

opie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by opie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Doesn't sound to inviting. Maybe I'll check it out on my kayak (with depth finder) first.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:45 am

Hey everyone, wanted to chime in on this event. My wife and I participated last year, but unfortunately can't make it this year. You do not need, or want, to ride a foil. Unless you can do 50' airs, you will not compete, anyway:) Seriously though the Board Meeting is a really fun, all inclusive event designed for all kiteboarders. The slalom race was super fun, our favorite event by far. I was on a surfboard, my wife on a TT. It's fun to get a sense of racing, especially the starting procedure and the importance of a tight gybe around the marker. Made me really want to start racing!

The freestyle and "big air" comps were fun, despite the low wind and neither of us being competitive. Adam Withington was throwing down, and won the entire weekend thanks to his foil skills. So unless you can compete with him, I would just bring your TT or directional and just have fun! Eugenia does an amazing job with the planning and execution, and it's great to support the city of Pittsburg. Have fun!