New to (south) Bay Area: where to live?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
anna
Joey
Joey
New to (south) Bay Area: where to live?

Post by anna » Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi BAK!
I'm moving stateside end of June, and starting a job in north San Jose.
Where do the kiters hang out/live?
Looks like 3rd might be the best / nearest kiting option. Are there any alternatives further south to take advantage of?

I'm moving from Australia and have been loving living in Melbourne, but working 45 mins out west as it takes me right past a great kiting spot on the way home (Altona) so I've been able to maximise the summer evening sessions. I would love to try and replicate that in the Bay Area
I'm intermediate level rider (boots or strapless, progressing to unhooked)

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Re: New to (south) Bay Area: where to live?

Post by Yoda » Fri May 19, 2017 4:24 pm

anna wrote:Looks like 3rd might be the best / nearest kiting option. Are there any alternatives further south to take advantage of?
As you said, the closest and best spot to SJ is 3rd. Coyote is next. There are some that kite at Santa Clara's Pond A4...
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... =23&t=9540

Alternatives:
If you head South from SJ on Hwy 101 then East on Hwy 152 it will take you to San Louis Reservoir...
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... =1&t=12090

If you head South West on Hwy 17 from SJ it with take you to Santa Cruz where Waddell can be found close by. This is a wave kiting spot and it's not too "friendly" for twintip riding, but it's not off limits.

Use the Kite Beaches link at the top of the BAK page for a detailed map. The map is very precise, so if it's not on there, it's not ideal for kiting. Most spots are for intermediate to experts only.

For living and hanging out, I'm not that well versed on that subject. Hopefully some can chime in with some details. Welcome to the Bay!

anna
Joey
Joey

Post by anna » Sat May 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks Yoda!
Super helpful |}{+

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sun May 21, 2017 11:36 am

Hate to say it, but I live in Santa Clara and used to windsurf and kite at 3rd, but the traffic sucks so bad now it just doesn't make it worth it. At pond A4 you can get light winds every once in a while.

anna
Joey
Joey

Post by anna » Sun May 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Hmmm - I do ride a motorbike as well and I'm hoping this may avoid some of the traffic problems....

Live near San Mateo and motorbike to work, then van over to 3rd with my gear? or is that just dreaming!

Or I could just live north San Jose and take the occasional south bay breeze and weekend van adventures? hmmmm.... seems like less kiting opportunities to me

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 am

If you are adamant about maximizing kiting opportunities, living near 3rd would be your best bet. Definitely commute via bike if possible, that will save you time and lots of money. Caltrain may also be a commute option. You will be a little further from the ocean, but not enough to deter you from going on the weekends. The traffic has now gotten to a level where I don't kite 3rd as much as I would like.

I would also recommend San Mateo as a first living spot so you can get a sense where on the Peninsula (or city) you'd like to live longer term. It's right in the middle of it all.

opie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by opie » Mon May 22, 2017 2:57 pm

If you are going to bike to work this is a great resource for learning how to stay alive and what to look out for splitting lanes in bay area traffic.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forum ... 14033&f=94

One more vote for living closer to San Mateo since I feel like you have more choices for things to do.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Mon May 22, 2017 3:34 pm

I agree with the other posters you're better off living there and commuting here. It's a ways, but it's (kinda) anti-commute direction too, and Caltrain is a decent option. When I got my place here all the best jobs were nearby, but that's changed too, so changing jobs in the future to something closer could be an option. And carpooling helps.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Mon May 22, 2017 3:54 pm

shred_da_gorge wrote:so changing jobs in the future to something closer could be an option.
Really good point. You will have many jobs in Silly Valley:)

irvinside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by irvinside » Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 pm

I would also consider leasing an Electric Car ($200~$300 per month)... The Carpool Lane stops at San Carlos from SJ, will save you a major amount of time in Traffic on 101.

Cheers,
Greg
Kites: Gong Strutless V2: 12m, 9m, BRM Cloud D.0 6.2
Board: F-One Mitu Monteiro 5'10", Moses Onda 91 + Groove skate
Harness: ION B2
Wetsuit: ION Strike Amp 2017